Pump and pipe sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo Forton

Reaction score
I have a natural spring 2.5 gpm at the bottom of my property and want to push it 2000' up to a storage tank at the top of my property 200' up. Looking for recommendation on pump brand, type, size and pipe size for most efficient and economical system. Prefer a 12v pump. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Geo

From your post, you want to Pump a couple of gallons per minute a distance of 2000 feet, with an elevation rise of 200 ft. Am I correct so far.

Now you are indicating that you would like to do this with a 12 volt Pump. What is your reasoning for this? Are you thinking something like a Pump used in an RV? Or do you have something else in mind?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
At 2 1/2 gpm in 3/4” pvc pipe you will have 1.5 ft of friction loss per 100 ft of pipe.
http://www.sta-rite.com/resources/images/14800.pdf
So for 2000 ft, you would have 30 ft of friction loss. You don’t need any pressure at your storage tank. So delivery psi or head is zero. You have 200 ft of elevation. So your total dynamic head is 230 feet. That’s 100 psi at the spring to deliver water to the storage tank. If there are any 12 volt pumps that will deliver 100+ psi, I’m not aware of any.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did a little looking online last night for 12/24 volt pumps. There’s quite a few that have a max pressure of 230 ft. That’s just right in the edge of what you need. Didn’t see any that had more head, unless you go from a $100 Pump to a $2000 Pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks