Pump and pipe help

Users who are viewing this thread

truckster

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a name of an outfit that I can get a Grundfos 5S07-18 complete pump without losing an arm and an outfit I can order 500' coil of Endopure 1" 250 psi pipe from.
The local shops don't have any idea, supply houses either. I do live in Northern Maine so probably will have to get it shipped if it is outside of New England. 1 distributor quoted just under $1500 for the pump.
I can find plenty of 300' lengths but need to set the pump deeper.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That pump has no business being set at 500ft. It won't be able to make cut out pressure if the water pulls down Below 350ft. May want to consider going to a 1HP.

No one in my area stocks 250psi poly. When I want it i have to order it with a bit of lead time. There isn't much use for it. If you need something that can handle pressure at depth you use PVC or steel. The poly pipe is rated at 73degrees, it can actually handle higher pressures in wells, I've seen plenty of 500ft installs on 200psi poly, never seen one blown out because of it. I avoid poly at those depths because it is far more likely to cause wire damage and you'll need a machine to pull it out anyway. 20ft sticks of PVC go in much faster and are a lot easier to pull with a hoist.

Most distributors won't wholesale to the public. When they do, their main customers, pump installers find another distributor that won't undercut the installers to their own customers.

truckster

Reaction score
That pump has no business being set at 500ft. It won't be able to make cut out pressure if the water pulls down Below 350ft. May want to consider going to a 1HP.

No one in my area stocks 250psi poly. When I want it i have to order it with a bit of lead time. There isn't much use for it. If you need something that can handle pressure at depth you use PVC or steel. The poly pipe is rated at 73degrees, it can actually handle higher pressures in wells, I've seen plenty of 500ft installs on 200psi poly, never seen one blown out because of it. I avoid poly at those depths because it is far more likely to cause wire damage and you'll need a machine to pull it out anyway. 20ft sticks of PVC go in much faster and are a lot easier to pull with a hoist.

Most distributors won't wholesale to the public. When they do, their main customers, pump installers find another distributor that won't undercut the installers to their own customers.

I have no trouble in paying a commission to a local contractor to get the material for me but the answers I get are what do you want that for get this pump and pipe or the most common answer is don't stock it.
The distributor gave me supply house names, for the pipe, said it comes in 100', 300', 500' coils, so for setting the pump at 350' I need a 500' coil, the numbers for pressure are a little over 200# hence 250psi pipe.
Bottom line is, they don't want to install what I want.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Online has that pump for $780 plus freight. You will need to add a control box for the 3 wire unit. I agree with Thirdgen the poly pipe will handle a lot more pressure than it is rated for. Burst pressure of pipe is usually 2-5 times the rated pressure. So in cold water I would bet 160# pipe would be fine. You can probably find 200# poly, which should be fine as that pump can only build 220 PSI even against a shut off valve.

Thirdgen, I find it funny that installers will quit a supplier for selling direct to the public, but they don't seem to mind that the manufacturer does it to them. Nearly every brand of pump or tank made is also sold direct to the public. They just give them a different name so it doesn't look that way. Franklin sells its pump under names like Utilitech, Waterhorse, Litte Giant, and others, but it is still a Franklin. Goulds has the Bruiser. Pnetair has many names, like Myers, Flotec, Sta-Rite, Berkeley, etc., they sell through box stores and on line. Amtrol has the Water Worker tank they sell a ton of. But still an installer will march up to the supply house and load a Franklin, Pentair, or an WellXtrol, thinking the supply house is protecting them on price. LOL

As in this case I can Google a model number and find a pump or tank on line for about the same as I can buy from my local suppliers, sometimes even cheaper. Pump guys are going to have to start charging more for labor and stop counting on markup. If nothing else the public can see how much you are paying for that pump and will think you are gouging them.

Last edited by a moderator:

truckster

Reaction score
Online has that pump for $780 plus freight. You will need to add a control box for the 3 wire unit. I agree with Thirdgen the poly pipe will handle a lot more pressure than it is rated for. Burst pressure of pipe is usually 2-5 times the rated pressure. So in cold water I would bet 160# pipe would be fine. You can probably find 200# poly, which should be fine as that pump can only build 220 PSI even against a shut off valve.

Thirdgen, I find it funny that installers will quit a supplier for selling direct to the public, but they don't seem to mind that the manufacturer does it to them. Nearly every brand of pump or tank made is also sold direct to the public. They just give them a different name so it doesn't look that way. Franklin sells its pump under names like Utilitech, Waterhorse, Litte Giant, and others, but it is still a Franklin. Goulds has the Bruiser. Pnetair has many names, like Myers, Flotec, Sta-Rite, Berkeley, etc., they sell through box stores and on line. Amtrol has the Water Worker tank they sell a ton of. But still an installer will march up to the supply house and load a Franklin, Pentair, or an WellXtrol, thinking the supply house is protecting them on price. LOL

As in this case I can Google a model number and find a pump or tank on line for about the same as I can buy from my local suppliers, sometimes even cheaper. Pump guys are going to have to start charging more for labor and stop counting on markup. If nothing else the public can see how much you are paying for that pump and will think you are gouging them.
thanks for the extra info

Last edited by a moderator:

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pump guys are going to have to start charging more for labor and stop counting on markup. If nothing else the public can see how much you are paying for that pump and will think you are gouging them.

My company has a long history of simply selling equipment to home owners for them to do with as they please. It's rare that people do that now but I'll still sell them equipment at much less than I'd charge installed. I stock more inventory than most other outfits and I sell to my competitors if they need something on short notice when the distributors are closed or out of stock. I just make sure a charge more than their distributor charges as I don't want to be their first choice, my pumps are so I have them when I need them.

When it comes to pump guys and their billing issues, they need just to learn to tell people 'No.' I won't install equipment I don't sell and If they want the price they found online I'll be happy to sell it to them at that but I won't install it. 'That's what my company offers if you don't like it find someone else.'

truckster

Reaction score
My company has a long history of simply selling equipment to home owners for them to do with as they please. It's rare that people do that now but I'll still sell them equipment at much less than I'd charge installed. I stock more inventory than most other outfits and I sell to my competitors if they need something on short notice when the distributors are closed or out of stock. I just make sure a charge more than their distributor charges as I don't want to be their first choice, my pumps are so I have them when I need them.

When it comes to pump guys and their billing issues, they need just to learn to tell people 'No.' I won't install equipment I don't sell and If they want the price they found online I'll be happy to sell it to them at that but I won't install it. 'That's what my company offers if you don't like it find someone else.'
good to know thanks

truckster

Reaction score
good to know thanks

The big reason I am doing the pump and equipment myself is that I do not have enough cash to pay for the install labor and make it thru the winter/spring. Last year was a drought that took over half my crops, wet spring delayed planting and then another drought this summer took 3/4 of the crops with the existing well failure in July this summer. So to put it bluntly, no cash for labor to do install, driller got 6200, site contract getting 5000 so again its my labor or go chapter 11

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks