Pump and Cistern design help

Users who are viewing this thread

bigwooo

Reaction score
I'm building a home in Mexico. My water is trucked in and stored in a 10,000 gallon underground cistern. I'm using a Dankoff standard speed booster pump http://www.solar-electric.com/iss-2920-12.html and an 85 gallon pressure tank. My pressure switch is set at 40-60 with 38 psi in the tank bladder.

My tank and pump room are located about 80 feet from the house (two story). I have 1 1/2" line running from the pump room to the house. The 80 foot run of 1 1/2" pipe is very slightly downhill. I also have a whole house water purifying system (located at the inlet to the house) that will drop the pressure available to the house by 5 psi.

My questions are:

1. Would I be better off having the pressure tank located in the pump room with the pump (80 feet away from the house), or would it be better to locate it on the first floor of the house. I have room in the house, and my thought was, by locating the pressure tank in the house, the tank would provide pressure to the house and second story without having to overcome the friction loss of the pipe between the tank room and house.

2. If the pressure tank is moved to the house, do I need to move the pressure switch to the tank? That would require a long wire run between the pump and pressure switch.

3. Is friction loss in 80 feet (level or slight down hill) of 1 1/2" pipe negligible, or something I should consider? It would definitely be more convenient to locate the pressure tank with the pump.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks