pulling 8-3 romex

Users who are viewing this thread

erniekosar

Reaction score
hello everyone i need to pull a 8-3 romes through a 3/4 inch gass pipe and go past 2 90 degree angles the pull is only 12 to 15 feet long is this possible

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
You CANNOT pull NM cable through gas pipe. In fact, if the 90 deg angles you mention are typical gas fittings, it would literally be impossible.

WHY do you need to do this? Describe the installation a little better.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is this pipe also going to have gas in it?? 8-3 would significantly reduce the flow of gas....EVEN IF you could figure some way to get the wire in and out of the pipe! But if this is just conduit, you can NOT pull through 90's . Won/t happen! And why are you pulling romex through pipe....I think there are rules against that@!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can only install in UL listed conduit.
Romex is not normally installed inside conduit anyway so I think we should hear the rest of the story.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
hello everyone i need to pull a 8-3 romes through a 3/4 inch gass pipe and go past 2 90 degree angles the pull is only 12 to 15 feet long is this possible

You CANNOT pull NM cable through gas pipe. In fact, if the 90 deg angles you mention are typical gas fittings, it would literally be impossible.
But it would be a lot of fun to set up a couple of lawn chairs and a large pitcher of Margaritas and watch.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
PLus see the "Monster truck" they would have to attach to the wire. IF they could get a "pull' cable past the elbows, (which would be an impossibility in any case), by the time they got the wire pulled through it, the elbows would be straightened out and the gas line would be a straight section of piping.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Just as a moot point, A guy could possibly do it by blowing a small line through, or several, and then pulling multiple strands of 18 gauge wire to amount to the ampacity of the 8 gauge. Do not do it: you will die, and yonkers will burn down. Just an option on the monster truck pull. Surgical method.

Or he could pull 16 gauge wire and buy a step up and down transformer for a few thousand bucks and run it at 600 volts.

Hate to be the home inspector on that one.

Last edited:

erniekosar

Reaction score
i asked if it was possible to pull 8-3 romex through 2- 90 degree angles ...... the reason is i have heavely foam insulated a new house ,and made it into a 2 family now i cannot show it as a to family with 2 kitchens i got the co already and passed all my permits but i want to run the power line for a electric stove now to make it easyer to pull it out if i need to if i get reported again the span is only 12 to 15 feet and it has 2- 90 degree angles i want to pull the 8-3 romex rite through the 3/4 inch gass pipe that is already there in the rite place that i need it mabee if the romex was heavely lubbed up i might have a chance ?/?/???/ remember there are no more inspections

Last edited:

erniekosar

Reaction score
i know its ileagle and also the to angles are at the top of the pull one foot in then a 90 one more foot then another 90 then about 13 feet down

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We are not here to help people do things which are illegal and unsafe.

A new installation for an electric stove requires 6 gauge 3 wire with ground (4 wires total).
Yours is not the first spray-foamed house to need wires run. It can be done properly and to code.

erniekosar

Reaction score
im just trying to avoid going out the back of the house up to atic going in then down also cacher_chick 8-3 romex in not the wire i need ???

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not an electrician, but I'm 99.999% sure you are not allowed to put Romex in conduit of any kind. I don't know what "gass" pipe is, perhaps you mean gas? You need the proper kind of conduit and the proper kind of wire. You do not use plumbing style elbows, you use SLBs or very long sweep ells to make 90 degree turns. There is a name of the wire you need but it escapes me at the moment. It comes in rolls of various colors and gauges. A real electrical supply house should be able to quickly set you up with the conduit, fittings, and wire you need. It would suggest that since you seem to have at best a limited knowledge of electrical wiring, you would do well to hire an electrician to make sure the job is done right. Screwed up wiring can ruin your whole day or what's left after the fire is put out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is absolutely NO WAY you could pull any usuable size wire through gas pipe elbows, period, (an additional reason would be that there is NO fishtape that would go through them to pull the wires). IF so, they would not make "sweep" elbows for use with electrical rigid conduit.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
The way to put the wire in is with the Yonkers yellow pages under "electrician".

Better yet, put in a gas stove and use the gas pipe for gas.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
There was a three Stooges segment where they managed to pull wires through water and gas lines. OP - have a look for how-to-do.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
I am also guessing that the electric range in question only requires a 40 amp circuit? What is the kW rating?

You can't make that pull. That is a stupid, illegal and unsafe idea. You should not even try to make that pull but please videotape the attempt so we can all have a good laugh just in case you decide to try it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks