Pulled leaky toilet, found standing water in 90deg street elbow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
well the water isn't that deep if he has never had back ups might not be as serious as I thought a camera will provide better info
the standing water should get deeper and deeper as you go 1/4" per ft as you go if it gets shallower than there's a situation of back fall some call reverse grade.

Reach4

Reaction score
Correct -- I've never had a stoppage, just a little seepage around the base of the toilet
When using wax, get the shims positioned to avoid any rocking without wax. Then lift the toilet, drop the wax, and drop the toilet on the wax. You don't want any rocking.

A waxless seal is resilient and could be better for some.

Ha6P4

Reaction score
When using wax, get the shims positioned to avoid any rocking without wax. Then lift the toilet, drop the wax, and drop the toilet on the wax. You don't want any rocking.

A waxless seal is resilient and could be better for some.
I'm still planning on hole sawing out the below-grade, uneven ABS flange, and replacing it with a stainless steel ring flange

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm still planning on hole sawing out the below-grade, uneven ABS flange, and replacing it with a stainless steel ring flange
You might consider a Danco Model 10672X is Hydroseat. It may fit your needs. Read up on it. You put a normal wax ring under it. I used to think you put another ring on top, but I see they are planning that you just put the toilet on top with no top wax. This would fit cases where the feet are going to be on top of the finished floor, and you can drill holes for screwing down the feet. You can alternatively use the holes not on the feet to hold it down. That way you don't have to drill your hard flooring.

So your old recessed flange would stay in place. You would use long screws and plenty of wax.

No, it is not stainless, but it is also not glued into place.

Ha6P4

Reaction score
You might consider a Danco Model 10672X is Hydroseat. It may fit your needs. Read up on it. You put a normal wax ring under it. I used to think you put another ring on top, but I see they are planning that you just put the toilet on top with no top wax. This would fit cases where the feet are going to be on top of the finished floor, and you can drill holes for screwing down the feet. You can alternatively use the holes not on the feet to hold it down. That way you don't have to drill your hard flooring.

So your old recessed flange would stay in place. You would use long screws and plenty of wax.

No, it is not stainless, but it is also not glued into place.
I do like the fixed studs.
But for $20 and with no time constraint, I'd rather fix it right and never have to think about it again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks