Pull-stop-box PEX stubout: Is it any good ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Raj Kowuri

Reaction score
Hi All: I am new to this forum and it is my first post.

My house was built last year. I was recently trying to change one of the faucets in the bathroom and saw that the shutoff valve was recessed inside the drywall. That was new to me. In my old house, the valves were the normal 1/4" turn compression type.

Curiosity got better of me and I opened up the cover and saw that it was enclosed in a green box. Stupidly, I tried to remove a red box that seemed to hold the actual brass valve. The moment the red box came out, water gushed in everywhere. I ran out and turn off the water main. Luckily the bathroom was small and i cleaned up the water and dried out the area. Big mistake : I should have used a plumber :(

But the reason I am asking the question here is the valve assembly. Apparently it is called a "Pull-stop-box". It seems to be a new faucet stub-out that mentions how easy it is to install, apparently seconds and not minutes.

So basically the valve contains a plastic flange that is crimped to the pex line. The ball valve assembly slides into this flange, with 3 O-rings preventing water leaks. The 'red' block that i foolishly removed holds this valve into the flange against the water pressure.

I am engineer, so maybe i analyze everything too much : But the first thing that ran through my head is that this valve is being held by a plastic block and preventing water from gushing out, only by 3 O rings. Now when a flex hose connects to this valve, it moves, as it is rotating inside the plastic flange. Again water pressure being held off by the 3 o rings. I am thinking that this is a ticking time-bomb. That one day one or all the o-rings can go bad and water can start leaking.

To me it seemed a like a terrible design. The main advantages seemed to be ease of installation and attractively concealed inside the wall.

I am attaching some pictures on how this valve looks.

I'd like to know what you veterans think about this design. Is it okay? , bad ? Would my fears that the O-rings could fail and cause bad water damage is real ?
I am actually planning on getting a plumber to replace all these valves in my house (about 18) with the normal compression type ones.

Thanks !

Attachments

• pullstopbox.jpg
    pullstopbox.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 413

Tally Wacher

Reaction score
Looks like a nice design. There are a total of 4 O rings, one being in the box. Says they have a 5 year warranty. Seems very easy to maintain/replace O rings. Before I mess with things I usually look it up on the net. There are some nice Youtube videos on the box. Would be excellent for repipes as no drywall work needed.

lsp-pull-stop-box-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The plumbing graveyard is chock full of bad ideas. Smart thing is to go with tried and true. My first marriage came with a lifetime warranty; let me tell you how that worked out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
O-rings are used in all sorts of modern valves to good effect.

lsp-pull-stop-box-04.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks