PTAC Unit E1 (Freeze Protection) Keeps Kicking On

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimmy38

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have two Simon-Aire model SSK818H-TP's that were installed about 5 years ago. Last year, the condenser fan blades broke in both units around the same time, so I had them replaced. Since the blades were replaced, in cool mode, the compressors in both units will kick on for a few minutes and then shut off with an E1 Error Code. This indicates the freeze protection mode is activated. The guys who installed the new blades just kept explaining what the freeze protector does, but it happens at any temperature outside (50s-90s). The guys who originally installed the units said i'd need to replace the freeze protection sensor but that it would take 12 weeks for the part to arrive...

I tested the protector for continuity and it seems okay, so i'm wondering now: 1) Is that really the issue 2) can i just unplug the sensor from the control board and 3) is there any other solution than waiting 12 weeks for the spare part.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
James

Attachments

• IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.57.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.57.22 PM.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2099_small.jpg
    IMG_2099_small.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2097_small.jpg
    IMG_2097_small.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 132

Fitter30

Reaction score
Two units both tripping very odd. That would indicate the evap coil, blower wheel, filter would be dirty or low on refrigerant. Sensors trip at 35° . By bypassing sensors your bypassing some compressor protection. Can't really see the diagram take a better pic tell you how to bypass the sensors. But units need to be pulled and inspected. Blower you can see but bottom side of coil probably need some screws remove to access.

Jimmy38

Reaction score
Two units both tripping very odd. That would indicate the evap coil, blower wheel, filter would be dirty or low on refrigerant. Sensors trip at 35° . By bypassing sensors your bypassing some compressor protection. Can't really see the diagram take a better pic tell you how to bypass the sensors. But units need to be pulled and inspected. Blower you can see but bottom side of coil probably need some screws remove to access.
Thanks for the reply. I'd cleaned the filter but get the same error. I also unplugged the sensor from the control board but I get a new error code and it won't run. I've attached a picture of the wiring diagram but will try to take a better one. The coil itself was room temperature and still shuts off with the same error.

The manual doesn't have a sensor resistance chart, so I've reached out to the manufacturer, but I've measured the following on both the freeze sensor and the room temp sensor:

Freeze: 60 degrees (11.2K Ohms), 70 degrees (9.38K Ohms)
Room: 60 degrees (10.5K Ohms), 70 degrees (9.04K Ohms)

Do you think this means it's likely low on refrigerant?

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
That sensor is a thermister it has to be uncliped from the coil. The only other way is to measure the resistance with a room temp coil to replace sensor with a 1/2 watt resistor of the same value.

Jimmy38

Reaction score
That sensor is a thermister it has to be uncliped from the coil. The only other way is to measure the resistance with a room temp coil to replace sensor with a 1/2 watt resistor of the same value.
Thanks, I've unclipped the thermistor from the coil. I just tested it in the room and then in ice water so I now have a good range of resistance values:

85 degrees: 5.95K Ohms
70 degrees: 9.38K Ohms
60 degrees: 11.2K Ohms
32 degrees: 19.75K Ohms

I'm still waiting on the manufacturer to give me the sensor resistance chart, but if you think it needs to be replaced, could you possibly put me on the right track for the correct part? I've attached a picture of the thermistor itself.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_2110_small.jpg
    IMG_2110_small.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2111_small.jpg
    IMG_2111_small.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 117
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks