PRV and expansion tank on cpvc setup

Users who are viewing this thread

amdskip

Reaction score
A coworker who lives in the same neighborhood as me recently had his pipes replaced and the plumbers determined that his water pressure was registering over their 100 psi gauge. I am now wondering if my pressure is too high (I'm sure it is) and I would like to install a prv and I believe an expansion tank on the water heater.

Present state: copper supply up through the floor with shut off valve and an adapter to convert to 3/4" cpvc.

Is it better to hook the prv up to the end of the copper and add a valve/permanently installed gauge and then another shut off valve or should I do it in cpvc and use adapters.

Any suggestions for the expansion tank? I will be mounting it right before the cold line enters the water heater and it will be mounted horizontally on the wall.

I will post pictures later tonight, thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would definitely avoid the CPVC. You can install the expansion tank anywhere between the PRV and the water heater and you may very well want a valve that will shut the water off prior to reaching the expansion tank. I have a gauge installed in my line between the PRV and expansion tank, so I guess I have to pretty much agree with your proposed setup. You do want to be certain the expansion tank is well supported.

amdskip

Reaction score
Sounds good, looks like I need PRV. **** has them for around $25 shipped, Watts brand, would this work?

Next comes a brass T to which I can screw in a pressure gauge.

Next another shut off valve.

Then convert back to CPVC.

Then expansion tank. Any advice for this? My coworker has a proflow tank in his house.

I also would like to install water hammer arrestors for the washing machine and my dishwasher. What is the easiest way to hook them up to cpvc. What size do I need to look for? I'm assuming I need a T and some adapter because they all look to be copper.

I've attached a few pictures of the coworkers setup, mine is very similar.

Attachments

• IMG_6642.jpg
    IMG_6642.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,287
  • IMG_6643.jpg
    IMG_6643.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_6638.jpg
    IMG_6638.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 3,202

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Watts makes several sizes. You should check the box to see which size would be the best for you. I paid above $40 or so for mine, it's the not the small one. I am all copper and really can't tell you much more than you already know about CPVC. Why don't you hold off on the water hammer arrestors until you have the pressure situation handled. It may be you won't need them. If you do, then you are right about them being copper and needing an adapter to CPVC. I like that shelf for the expansion tank, mine hangs from the copper pipe and is supported on both sides by plumber tape nailed to the joists. I don't think I would hang a tank from CPVC, I just don't trust plastic pipe that much.;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks