Protecting pipe insulation from rodents?

Users who are viewing this thread

JAM504

Reaction score
I've looked through this forum and others and I'm surprise that I have found little to no advice for this. I'm planning a full upstairs bathroom remodel including all the plumbing. I'll be running PEX (let's not start a PEX vs copper debate, haha). While I had all the walls and floors open I wanted to add insulation to all the new pipe I'll be running. I have not seen any rodents since I've moved into the house, but have found evidence that they have visited. Maybe before I moved in since the house was built in the 50's. So my plan to protect the insulation in case an unwanted visitor decides to stop by is to wrap the PEXx in the insulation sleeves(2-3in diameter) and around that put construction mesh.
Such as this https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Metals-X25-Mesh-Screening/dp/B000LX8968

I know it may seem like overkill, but I think there is the benefit of protecting the insulation on top of protecting the PEX itself, which has been rumored to be a rodent buffet.

So I have two questions:
1) Is there any issue that could occur from doing things this way? I can't think of any, but would love to get second opinions.
2) Has anyone tried another option to protect the insulation?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

JAM504

Reaction score
I would not insulate the pipe unless you're near an outside wall and freezing could be a problem. Should a leak ever occur the water could run many feet down the pipe before it spills out on the ceiling or floor. Just seal off the ends of the joist and any holes fill with foam. You can still wrap the pipe with this mesh material.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pex-rodents-problem-please-read.5154/page-2
Thanks for the input. I did have that concern also. My plan to relieve that was to cut the seam of the insulation tubes so there was a 1/2 to 1-inch gap. I'd leave that facing downwards so give a better path for any leaks. I know it's not a perfect solution to, but right now the ends of the joist are pretty open from the age of the wood around the joist ends. The company I'll be using for new siding and insulating/replacing the rim joist is booked till spring. From the work I've seen for their prices, its worth the wait. Part of the reason for using the insulation, was that I wasn't sure if the metal resting against the pex would cause any issues if there was any expansion/movement of the pipes. I know it's unlikely, but I always err on the side of caution.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks