Protect PEX in basement walls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dar Dack

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement. My plumbing has all been inspected and passed, but I was thinking. Some of the PEX and vent piping is in the middle of wall cavities right, and the bathroom and kitchenette area share a wall. Do I just remember not to hang shelves or anything on that shared wall (and I used toe kick heaters in wall cabinets, do I just know if it's above the heating cabinet no shelve and I have to check the wall behind as well to make sure no heating element), or only in the studs, no anchors in the cavity? is there a way to protect the pipes in the cavity (not through studs, I did use nail protection when it was either vent through top plate or the hole wasn't more than 1.25" from edge)? Do I mark the wall someway? What happens if I sell the house, do I just let the new owners know?

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Take pictures, hang the sheet rock, put your anchors where the pipe isn't, or am I missing something?

You can leave the pictures with any subsequent owner.

John

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Theres no sure fire way to avoid hitting a tube in a wall or electrical for that matter. You could install specific blocking for hanging cabinetry or shelving and note exactly where that is. Tubing that is not supported vertically in the wall with no insulation holding it will tend to deflect away from a screw in the middle of a stud bay. But if its held in place it will be a target.

Dar Dack

Reaction score
Take pictures, hang the sheet rock, put your anchors where the pipe isn't, or am I missing something?

You can leave the pictures with any subsequent owner.

John
Yeah you're not missing something. Sometimes I just overthink things. Thanks, this works perfectly.

Dar Dack

Reaction score
Best answer for sure.

John
Yes was doing blocking for cabinetry for sure, in the kitchenette area and in bathroom for vanity/mirror/etc, but i meant like later in living area or bedroom like oh I want to hang a shelve, is there water lines behind this wall, but the picture thing with notes will work perfect.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks