Pros and cons....Uniforms for a more professionial looking plumber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
A lot of the big advertisers in the Yellow Pages
in our town seem to feel a total uniform for their
employees is the best way to go.... perhaps they
are right......

A couple of them even have a shoulder patch of the American Flag ,
I suppose it makes them look "professional"

They usually make the employee pay half the expence
for the cleaning and repairs to the clothes.....
usually they keep a spare pair in their trucks too...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
being a small company

I have just always had a more laid back atitude about
this and always supplied work shirts for my grunts
and accepted neat looking Jeans ....

Perhaps I am wrong about this,
because its hard to get
the grunts to even dress themselves half way decent
every day for work.....
perhaps forceing them into a clean looking uniform
is worth the expence....

another side benefit of uniforms I just thought of....

I wont have to look at
the crack of their butts every morning too!!!

No, somehow I AM SURE that they will still
find a way to expose their braines for the world to see.

The expence isnt all that much for a company of 5
possibly 150 per month....

I was just wondering what others did here and if it
was worth it or not

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I think uniforms are dorky, but, so are looking at people's brains, lol. ;)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a company near me that dispatches it guys in white uniforms they look so good but they also empty the customers wallets every time they pull up to a house.

I think in general the average person likes uniforms, I think it gives a more "professional look" which has nothing to do with their abilities.

I think if you have clean well marked trucks and are uniformed it can't hurt.

Many companys are going to picture ID cards and I think any company not doing a background check on someone they will employ is asking for trouble.

Cookie

Reaction score
I think the picture ID's are a great idea. I think uniforms that would look like the UPS drivers would be nice. :)
Those white uniforms got to be a real hard thing to keep clean while doing plumbing.

OR...a one piece black leather suit? :)
Even thought of a new name for your company--Snazzy Plumbers.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
master plumber mark said:
I have just always had a more laid back attitude about this and always supplied work shirts ... and accepted neat looking Jeans ....

Either working or as a customer, that is my own preference. I am skeptical of blue-collars with not even a single smudge or some kind of indication they are inclined to really "jump in" and do whatever might be necessary even at the expense of pretty clothing! Even a service writer at the auto shop needs a spot of grease on his shoulder so you can know he actually at least took a real look.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wera navy blue Skiller pants with the built in kneepads and navy blue shorts sleeve work shirts. Since it's been hot out, I bought some Carhartt sleeveless t-shirts. I wear suspenders so there is no "plumber's crack." The pants are lot cooler than denim jeans and nobody has complained about my armpits. I have a helper who is tattoed and ponytailed. He only works by himself on remodels or construction. He does not go on service calls, unless it's with me.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
makes me feel better already...

Kordes,..... a tattooed , pony tailed ...hairey armpit showing ...helper...

Now are the Tatoos pretty, or mean looking ones??

that sight just makes me want to open my door
and let him into my house to work right next
to my daughters bedroom.....LOL.

Beleive it or not.......
Once years ago I did have a hillbilley kid come into work
one time with the front of his pants torn open so bad that
you could actually see his .... testicles...

he claimed it was the only clean pair he had to wear......

I told him that woman folk in these parts find it offensive
to see a mans testicles hanging out of his pants .....

and sent the dummie home to change....

the labor pool is getting pretty shallow, dont you think??

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score

"Image is everything" was a HUGE marketing tool....in the 80's.
Personal experience has led me to believe that when H.O.'s see a clean, neat uniform, they associate that with the "big box" store mentality, and they're paying a larger amount for the advertizing, with some young guy a few years out of high school who was "trained" in a ten hour course.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Image is still everything.
I don't think a plumber needs to look like the Good Humour ice cream man, nor the Maytag repair man, but........
Someone who is wearing a company shirt, with a logo, tucked into a decent pair of pants, looks a hellofa lot more trustworthy than Tommy Lee knocking on my door.
Think about the people who knock on doors nowadays.......Newspaper guys, landscape guys, security system guys........all trying to sell you something. But when a thug looking dude knocks on your door, you speak to him through a locked door, or you don't eevn answer the door at all.
Image always will be everything.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I think a uniform may be a little overboard. Company tees/polo shirts and clean appearance is all I expect. My buddy that does my in-house plumbing uses those little paper type booties (?) over his shoes when he's inside the house which I definitely appreciate. I could care less if he's in jeans or shorts but the wife appreciates the fact that he does not track anything through the house.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Pewterpower said:
Image is still everything.
I don't think a plumber needs to look like the Good Humour ice cream man, nor the Maytag repair man, but........
Someone who is wearing a company shirt, with a logo, tucked into a decent pair of pants, looks a hellofa lot more trustworthy than Tommy Lee knocking on my door.
Think about the people who knock on doors nowadays.......Newspaper guys, landscape guys, security system guys........all trying to sell you something. But when a thug looking dude knocks on your door, you speak to him through a locked door, or you don't eevn answer the door at all.
Image always will be everything.

On second thought...right.
But an image that comes off as superficial, colorful or attempting to appeal to the senses is outdated.
I often bid against other local companies. One job I got, the customer came straight out and told me "We decided on you because the other guy seemed like a car salesman. We also know you do the work yourself and we felt more comfortable knowing that."
I'd done the estimate in jeans and a tee shirt. (clean though, no ponytail, or tattoo's)

Cookie

Reaction score
I agree image is important, but sometimes reading the book by its cover can be very deceiving. For instance, I had to have my Jeep looked at yesterday and the mechanics were very seedy looking. They turned out to be so nice, smart and funny that when finished even my son commented on how he was very surprised. Remember Ted Bundy? Clean cut, nice looking and very deceiving. I would rather have a workman look like he has been working. But, not with body parts showing, lol.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Cookie said:
I agree image is important, but sometimes reading the book by its cover can be very deceiving. For instance, I had to have my Jeep looked at yesterday and the mechanics were very seedy looking. They turned out to be so nice, smart and funny that when finished even my son commented on how he was very surprised. Remember Ted Bundy? Clean cut, nice looking and very deceiving. I would rather have a workman look like he has been working. But, not with body parts showing, lol.

Let me add...I keep deoderant & cologne in the glovie.
(Even I have the sense to know if I have an estimate for 6pm after a long summer day, well it ain't good.)

Cookie

Reaction score
Grumpy, wrong thing in the glovie. Better off with fresh n' ups. Along with the little hammer to break open a window incase we are stupid enough to drive into a river you will find a box of fresh n' ups. Also a small sewing kit. :) Kleenex tissues, sunglasses, and mascara. Oh, car registration and insurance card somewhere. I think.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Cookie said:
Grumpy, wrong thing in the glovie. Better off with fresh n' ups. Along with the little hammer to break open a window incase we are stupid enough to drive into a river you will find a box of fresh n' ups. Also a small sewing kit. :) Kleenex tissues, sunglasses, and mascara. Oh, car registration and insurance card somewhere. I think.

For the better half, there are two rules in my truck...Don't touch the radio...stay outta the glovie!
She has the same two rules for me in her car.
Developing a mental image of Jeff Foxworthy saying "You know you're a woman when...."

Pewterpower

Reaction score
master plumber mark said:

another side benefit of uniforms I just thought of....

I wont have to look at
the crack of their butts every morning too!!!

Perhaps you're hiring the wrong type of plumber?

Plumberscrack3.gif

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Pewterpower said:
Perhaps you're hiring the wrong type of plumber?

Plumberscrack3.gif

Gee thanks!
The mrs saw that!
er...topic....was there a topic?
I think there's a leak in my sink...Pewter...got that number?

Pewterpower

Reaction score
That is who I hired to help me change the blinker fliud in my car when the turn signal wouldn't work. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks