Propress fittings - as simple as they appear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
As part of my remodel, I need to re-plumb domestic water to replace some recalled Kitec, while everything is open.

Is making a reliable fitting as simple as the instructions and videos say (ream inside and outside, verify proper insertion depth)? i.e. as a capable DIY, is it a practical, reliable solution with minimal training?

Thanks!

Other notes:
I would prefer to copper for personal health preference, and don't want to 'learn to sweat' on a bunch of plumbing that will be behind the walls, though no doubt with time I have enough attention to detail to learn to do a decent job.

I've been weighing PEX vs Propress and have read all the opinions about Propress. All in all, I think it has had enough market time to make me comfortable to consider it, though maybe I'm not quite as comfortable as someone seasoned making a sweat joint.

m12-tool-01.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
My employees use Propress against my objections and to my amazement it works great.

.Cuts labor costs more then half but the fittings are expensive

Fitter30

Reaction score
Propress fittings and crimp tool are expensive. For piping one house tool cost might make it to costly. Using the tool has a small learning curve keeping fitting straight and making crimps correctly. Propress and PEX are proven systems.

Rossn

Reaction score
Yeah, the tool is expensive, but can be resold. Hiring a plumber to run copper (2 kitchens, 4.5 baths, 2 laundry) is way, way more spendy ($$$$$) than paying for the temporary use of the tool and buying fittings. In my case, I already have the new copper. If I can competently crimp and layout, then that helps me manage my budget, where I'm over in other areas.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"Too costly" for a propress and on E bay you can buy one for about $1,000 -$1,200 or possibly even rent one at a tool rental place

The "learning curve" takes about 30 seconds to use the tool rather then soldering .

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mark your depths with a sharpie, make sure you press things together in the best order where you don't lose the ability to fit something, or you lose level. Make sure you can always fit the tool where you'll need it (they are bulky, and tough to use in tight spots). Make note of all the insert depths in the various fittings you use so you cut accurate pipe lengths.

There's probably more advice out there, but it is fairly simple. Don't be afraid to check and double check and triple check before you press. You save a ton of time doing it, so you may as well make sure you don't screw something up.

Rossn

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing helper Dave!

Sylvan, I was leaning away from a used too, given I have not used one before - I may not know if there was a problem with the Milwaukee tool not clamping with full force... would hate to learn that after the fact. Do you think that concern is unfounded?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks