ProPEX shower valve instalation

Users who are viewing this thread

Cris2017

Reaction score
I have a cpl quick questions:

First what are the different options to install a shower valve while using ProPEX Uponor.

I can go to the supply lines and up to the shower head with 1/2 PEX line, but I cannot go to the tub spout with 1/2, so if I don't want to solder copper, is there any other option than running 3/4" line from valve to bath spout?

Second, any concerns about running 3/4 throughout the house and splitting to 1/2 at lav/toilet/shower?

Thank you so much for all input!

Last edited by a moderator:

Asktom

Reaction score
For the tub spit you could use a galvanized or brass nipple and elbow. I like brass.

Reach4

Reaction score
I can go to the supply lines and up to the shower head with 1/2 pex line, but I cannot go to the tub spout with 1/2,
Why is that?

so if I don't want to solder copper, is there any other option than running 3/4" line from valve to bath spout?
You can get ProPEX Drop Ear Elbows in 1/2 and 3/4. Then you can run a brass nipple from there.
lf4237575-4.jpg

Cris2017

Reaction score
I do have the ProPEX drop ear elbow, but my understanding is that you cannot use1/2 PEX line from valve to down tub spout, as the ID of the pex line is smaller than copper which will result in higher pressure and water trickling up to the shower head (path of least resistance).

So the question then is how do I connect from the valve to the down tub spout? Most recommendations I've seen were to either use copper and solder it (I would prefer not to do that), or use 3/4 pex. Any other options?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you install that fitting with 1/2" PEX, it will force water up to the shower head.
There can't be "any" reduction in size from copper or threaded pipes.

CPVC and PEX cannot be used on a tub spout.

NOPE!
Edited just recently

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How are you going from 1/2" to 3/4" and back to 1/2"
Most tubs outlets are 1/2".
However you do that, there can't be any restriction. If you use a 1/2" x 3/4" PEX adapter, it won't work. It has to be copper sized or pipe sized.

A one bath home can be plumbed with 3/4".
A two bath requires 1"
A four bath normally requires 1-1/4"

I don't do more than two fixtures on 1/2".

uponor_manifold_pic.jpg

Last edited:

Cris2017

Reaction score
Got it for the down spout.

As for the pipe throughout the house, the old copper ones are ALL 1/2, everywhere in the house (3 baths + kitchen). So, I was thinking about running 3/4" now to each one of them and then convert to 1/2 at the lav/toilet/shower/kitchen.

Reach4

Reaction score
It sounds like they could sell a big brother of the Uponor LF4235038 if they decided to make one. That one is a 1/2" ProPEX x 3/8" FIP Drop Ear Elbow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks