ProPEX Logic System, add valves to multiport manifold outputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aberrant

Reaction score
I'm doing a whole house PEX replacement and have been researching different systems (manifold, trunk/branch, hybrids) and settled on Uponor's logic system which is essentially a combination of trunk/branch with remote manifolds for zones. I'm looking at using Uponor's EP manifolds and was wondering if it's worth the effort to add shut off valves to each output? All the literature and pictures I find for implementations of this system just show the connections without any valves but I figured I would ask now before I start re-plumbing everything.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will want a shutoff for each fixture, either at the manifold, or at the fixture itself. There is not set rule for which is considered the correct location. Accessible though.

Aberrant

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm planning to have shut offs still at each fixture and stubbing out to copper I just wasn't sure if there was any benefit or if would be common practice to also have a shut off at each manifold outlet serving those fixtures. Seems like it would only be useful if there was an issue with one of those runs or if it was necessary to add a tee to a line in the future without needing to shut off the whole system. Maybe I'm just overthinking it though and should just keep the shut offs at the fixture only.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We installed a LOT of homerun manifolds and honestly looking back they only made sense in the small condos. I don't find any real benefit to having shut offs in zones in residential because you're not likely to need to shut down a section of a home for an extended period of time while dealing with maintenace issues.

We do always purchase shower valves with integrated stop valves so they can be maintained like any other fixture in the house without turning off the main water.

The only reason I see shut off valves installed for zones in a home is when someone wants to remodel and they didn't learn to pipe back to the source or took forever to make a simple repair without making a million trips to the home store.

I don't see any real benefit to zone valves

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks