Proper way to permanently cap off cast iron toilet drain in foundation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Debrasville

Reaction score
I'm converting what was a half bath in my tri-level home into a laundry room. I've repurposed the sink drain for the laundry and sink drain, but now need to cap off the old cast iron toilet flange so I can level and tile the floor. What's the best route to do this?

I found this cap product which seems like I could hammer it into the drain then top an inch or two with hydraulic cement, but is there a more proper way to accomplish this task short of completely hammering out the concrete?

IMG_6648.jpg
IMG_6649.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think I did something like that in a 1907 home with lead for the old closet bend.

index.php

The old bathroom.

index.php

Covered with mortar mix before the pan went down. More plywood was added too. The floor was about 3" thick,.

index.php

index.php

A work in progress. The old 1/2 bath was ripped out and the plumbing moved to the opposite wall.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know of a legal way to plug that off that is meant for temporary but trust me many a plumber bury them . could you get that rust outta there? maybe caulk over it ? or use plumber dynamite on top

Debrasville

Reaction score
Thanks! I guess it sounds like I was already on the right track. It's already low enough that it should be covered just fine by the Schluter Ditra I'll be laying under the tile and ultimately be located under the washing machine anyways.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks