Proper way to assemble brass fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Using pipe dope and cranking them down I think tight enough, but still have a few leaks. Am I cranking them too much? What's the proper method?

These are brass nipple/cap/drop elbow connections and brass nipple/brass-cpvc coupler if that matters. 1/2"

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Better dope, or teflon tape and dope which is what I like to do.

Three smooth wraps of Teflon and then a good dope.

Then it won't leak.

God I like dope.

Who else likes dope?

Last edited by a moderator:

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
I am using this

How tight do they need to be? Could I be over/under tightening the connections?

Attachments

• eefa4b59-8698-4504-9444-4348b6da0694_300.jpg
    eefa4b59-8698-4504-9444-4348b6da0694_300.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 3,286

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I always do them tight.

But I have also found that my leaky joints leak no matter how tight I make them.

I'd use a little teflon tape and some dope and try again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
brass

I had some plumbers, who were "old time plumbers" back then, who said they assembled brass fittings without any sealer. I never tried it, but doubt that it would have made leakproof joints.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am using this

How tight do they need to be? Could I be over/under tightening the connections?

Yes you're most likely doing something wrong.

They need to be fairly tight. By that I mean if you're working on 0.5" or 0.75" piping and you're using a 12-14" wrench then they peices should be noticiably tight.

It's hard to explain how tight something needs to be because it depends on SO many factors. How big/strong are you? What method of pipe sealing are you using? How big of wrench are you using? What type of material are you joining together etc.

It's a bit like trying to explain colours to a blind person.

If you used pipe dope and they're still leaking I would undoubtedly say you're not tightening them enough. JUST when you think they are tight enough go tighter.

If you're using NPT connections (which you most likely are!) then those fittings are designed to get hand tight after about 2-3 full turns. And 2-3 full turns after that should be enough to snug up the pipe with proper sealing methods. I always also use dope and tape, but I dope 1st and tape later ;)

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
Sounds like fun,
I agree, tape and dope. Your post said that you're using brass drop elbows. What I've experienced with overtightening nipples into elbows is that the drop ear 90 starts to warp and split ever so slightly, may not even be noticeable on the outside but it's enough to cause a leak. Some brass is softer in the fittings than the nipples. I've always been told to screw them in hand tight then 3 full turns of the wrench, check for leaks then one 1/4 turn at a time until leak stops. It's a guessing game, kinda like setting toilets on a wall carrier, you want it tight but not too tight, you never want to hear that
"PING".

tom-rad

Reaction score
This sort of answers my NPT question....:D. Bear with me, I don't know enough to be a plumber but do know enough to be paranoid about water leaks.
I am replacing a 1/2" npt hose bibb for my washer. It threads into a brass drop ear 90 elbow. I wrapped with one wrap of teflon (not enough I guess) hand cranked it on as tight as I could, then used a wrench to go another 1/2 turn. Drips a tiny bit, once every 30 sec to a minute. Also, needs to go an additional half turn to point in the right direction. Three full threads are showing. Sound safe to turn more? I don't want to crack it. Thanks! (going to get pipe dope also).

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
This sort of answers my NPT question....:D. Bear with me, I don't know enough to be a plumber but do know enough to be paranoid about water leaks.
I am replacing a 1/2" npt hose bibb for my washer. It threads into a brass drop ear 90 elbow. I wrapped with one wrap of teflon (not enough I guess) hand cranked it on as tight as I could, then used a wrench to go another 1/2 turn. Drips a tiny bit, once every 30 sec to a minute. Also, needs to go an additional half turn to point in the right direction. Three full threads are showing. Sound safe to turn more? I don't want to crack it. Thanks! (going to get pipe dope also).

You're doing it wrong. Do at least 6-7 turns with tape, then add plumber's dope (rated for fresh water). Hand tight, then wrench tight. Don't over-tighten.

tom-rad

Reaction score
Thanks. Have Teflon tape and just bought a bottle of Oatey Great White. Going to try both. Also, found a nice BK Mueller Quarter turn valve. I appreciate the advice, thanks to all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks