Proper toilet flange orientation

Users who are viewing this thread

AH81

Reaction score
Finishing up a bathroom remodel and am about to install the toilet flange on top of the finished floor. Standard 3" PVC with a 12 inch rough-in.

What is the proper orientation of the toilet flange in relation to the closet bolts? Took two photos.
One photo shows the bolt tight against the flange slot. Another has a little space between the flange slot and bolt.

Also curious what size hole you guys typically drill for a toilet flange?

Thanks
Adam

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180914-160246_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180914-160246_Gallery.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,504
  • Screenshot_20180914-160217_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180914-160217_Gallery.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,599

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the proper orientation of the toilet flange in relation to the closet bolts? Took two photos.
One photo shows the bolt tight against the flange slot. Another has a little space between the flange slot and bolt.
Each is OK. The first one needs less precision, so that is going to be better for most.

Also curious what size hole you guys typically drill for a toilet flange?
It is going to depend on the flooring. You would want a clearance hole through the tile, but the longer hole diameter will differ based on the flooring. Concrete, hard wood, soft wood?

If concrete, it will depend on the screws/anchors also.

AH81

Reaction score
Im asking about the 3" PVC hole through the floor. Is there a standard size? Sorry for the confusion.
In this case, it is a tiled floor over an advantech subfloor and joists.

Charlotte's metal ring toilet flange's PVc was about 5" wide and sat below the metal flange.

Oatey's 3" or 4" easy tap stainless steel flange has the PVC sitting just a little below the metal ring. Probably about 4 1/2" wide.

Souix Chief's PVC is flush with the bottom of the metal ring.

Im going to assume that the metal ring is ment to rest on the finished floor, not the PVC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180914-164533_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20180914-164533_Drive.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,715
  • Screenshot_20180914-165045_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180914-165045_Gallery.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,651
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Oatey's 3" or 4" easy tap stainless steel flange has the PVC sitting just a little below the metal ring. Probably about 4 1/2" wide.

Souix Chief's PVC is flush with the bottom of the metal ring.

Im going to assume that the metal ring is ment to rest on the finished floor, not the PVC.
I think you are saying that the PVC causes the stainless ring to be above the floor a tad. So do you hit the edge of the subfloor hole with a rasp to clear the PVC, or put spacers or stacked washers under the stainless for each mounting screw?

Either should work I think. The rasp seems simpler. You would have to have the spacers/washers in position before gluing. That sounds trickier. I am not a plumber.

AH81

Reaction score
Exactly. I ended up going with the Sioux Cheif because it was flush.

I dont have a picture, but Charlottes was quite thick, would require thick spacers.

Hence my curiousity of a standard size hole

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not trying to be flippant, but the hole needs to be large enough to fit the flange selected while allowing it to be sitting on top of the finished floor when installed. That can easily vary quite a bit depending on whether the drain pipe is 3" or 4", or you choose an internal or external fit flange. The ring needs to have substance underneath it so that the screw anchors can get a hold. Many times, the plumber will install the flange on the subflooring so that the inspection can be done and doesn't have to return after the finished flooring and trim is installed, and it works, but is not ideal, especially if the finished flooring ends up fairly thick...not an issue in a home where vinyl is installed, since that's quite thin, but can be with some tile.

AH81

Reaction score
In the end the original 5/8th and 3 /8 subfloor was replaced with 2 sheets of 5/8th subfloor, Strata Mat 2 inch hexagon marble 3/8th thick. Floor turned out thick. Rebuilding the toilet flange and pipe.

Id like to find a diagram of Charlotte's flange.

Reach4

Reaction score
In the end the original 5/8th and 3 /8 subfloor was replaced with 2 sheets of 5/8th subfloor, Strata Mat 2 inch hexagon marble 3/8th thick. Floor turned out thick. Rebuilding the toilet flange and pipe
The flooring that you have in your photo is staying, right?

And that marble is marble -- not a material with a marble pattern that you could thin with a rasp, right?

AH81

Reaction score
Oh its staying! Marble is a softer stone and I have thinned it with a tile file, it just takes a bit of work

Attachments

• 20180626_070518.jpg
    20180626_070518.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,571
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks