Proper Testing of T&P Relief Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I would like to know the best way to test these and how often it should be done.

Thanks for any replies.

tp_2.jpg

T&P Valve looking at two sides.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Like to see if the kill switch engages¿
I would think that to recreate a scenario in which there would be too much pressure or temperature limit would not be advisable. Manually tripping (opening) the t&p would seem appropriate. You want to see water exiting out the relief line. Can either have someone at the other end at a safe distance but you will hear it discharge as well.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Water heater manufacturers recommend montly testing by lifting the tab, then allowing it to reset. There is no procedure outside a laboratory to accurately or safely do any other tests.

I suspect that the design is inherently long lasting. We see plenty of gas explosions involving water heaters, but I don't remember seeing anything about one blowing up due to a failed TP/

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
T&p

I have seen many T&P valves, especially the ones that have the discharge routed upward causing corrosion in them, which DO NOT, and CANNOT function, so they are the same as if they were capped off. THAT is the major reason why water heaters explode. If the T&P can operate, the heater will seldom reach critcal mass. Flip the handle periodically. If the valve will not open, or will not seal shut, it was time to change it anyway.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Having just tested mine (only 12 months old) and having seen it fail to shut off fully after the first attempt I would advise the following:

- open fully to test but also to flush out any sediment.

I only opened mine slightly and some sediment (I assume) caused it to not seat properly upon the return and leak slightly when I shut it back off. I then opened it fully and shut again without any leaks this time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks