Proper metal connector for washer hose brass vs stainless

Users who are viewing this thread

LDX

Reaction score
Hello,

Hope someone can assist. I am replacing my washer and dryer including the hoses.
Have to connect two 6' hoses to supply water for my steam dryer too.
Bought two sets of the (apparently) best stainless braid coated with pvc hoses I could find. https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-2-...ss-Steel-Washing-Machine-Connector/1000096754

Their website says the connectors are brass, must be coated with nickel as they're silver.

I need to buy a metal Y connector to branch off an extra line for the steam dryer from the cold water supply.
Can this Y be either stainless steel or brass? Or will one metal cause an issue?

Note that I also need to buy one more standard stainless steel braided hose and connect them to the hoses above. I think they also use brass coated with nickel chrome connections.

Been reading about issues with different metals corroding, don't want to set myself up for a flood disaster later.

Thank You!

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Nothing like a little time on the internet to make a mountain out of a molehill. Overthinking is rampant.

There is no problem with stainless steel and brass. That's why they are used extensively in plumbing.

Cheap hoses are another matter. The hose itself, not the connectors or covering, can deteriorate in a short time.

LDX

Reaction score
Upon closer examination, looks like the silver connectors are actually chrome plated brass. So looks like the choice is brass chrome plated or not. I would think both would work.

LDX

Reaction score
Since Floodchek appears to be out of business so maybe the market for top quality washer hoses isn't there. I would have thought people would be more than happen to spend $10-20 more for a set of hoses to avoid the damage. Insurance companies, particularly for high rise condos, should devise a special rating system to require higher quality hoses. Another example of where the low end manufacturing market has squeezed out the top end

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brass connectors are what I typically see installed. Chrome plated or not doesn't matter. I've seen hose kits that are made for steam systems with a splitter built in so you have less user made connections.

Just 100% avoid any really light feeling connectors that are aluminum garbage.

For any and all clothes washers that are installed on any floor other than an unfinished basement we install floodstop devices on the water valve and place the clothes washer in a pan. They have moisture detectors that shut the flow of water when triggered.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks