Proper flange bolt/washer/nut order?

Users who are viewing this thread

AP1

Reaction score
I'm going to install a new Toto Entrada very soon (replacing an existing toilet). Jamie's installation instructions in this forum are excellent. However, I have one big question. What is the proper order for putting on the flange bolt, washer(s) and nut. I'm not clear about what goes below the flange, on top of the flange and then on top of the toilet base.

In what order should they be positioned? And, I see multiple washers in my bolt kit. When would I use more than one?

Photos would be super helpful too.

Thanks!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yep: you attach the bolt to the flange with a washer and nut, and then after installing the toilet, secure it with the second washer and nut, then put the cap on top after sawing off the excess bolt length (or dremeling it, or using a bolt that snaps off).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The second nut, the one put on last, is just to hold the bolt upright so you can lower the toilet without having to fumble around trying to line up 2 bolts while holding the toilet in position. There is plenty of room between the flange and toilet base for these nuts. Ain't rocket science.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
My suggestion is to get the heavy duty 3/8" flange bolts from ACE Hardware, the brass ones. They are typically shorter than the 1/4" ones and hopefully won't need sawing.

Your old flange bolts may have a white or black plastic "retainer" on it to prevent the bolt from moving and holding it straight upright. Re-use it if possible; same for the old flange bolts if they are in good condition and after you remove all the old wax from them.

it looks like bolt, washer, nut, toilet, washer, nut, cap.
It looks like bolt, washer, nut, toilet, Toto supplied white washer (installed correctly), steel washer, nut, cap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The second nut, the one put on last, is just to hold the bolt upright

When I do it, the FIRST nut is to secure it to the flange and keep the bolt upright and stationary so it does not turn sometime in the future when the toilet has to be removed. IF you were to reuse the "old bolts" as Wallijohn suggests make sure they a going to be long enough to reach through the new toilet's base. "heavy duty" flange bolts are usually 5/16", not 3/8".

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Thanks for correcting me. I knew that it was bigger than 1/4".

Closet-Flange-Bolt.gif

Some of the washers ("X") I made mention of to hold the bolts steady while one puts down the toilet bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks