Proper disposal of old toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Totofan

Reaction score
What is the best way to dispose of old toilets? :confused:
They still work (poorly) but hauling them to the dump seems like an environmental waste.
There must be a better way to recycle or dispose of them.

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"With the tank removed, they make interesting planters." hj

That's just what I would have said, and now you went and said it first. I know it's a good idea, because I did it already. I musta got about twenty of them outside in the front yard. My wife plants flowers like roses and yellow ones, Marigolds? I get the most looks from my neighbors when they see how pretty it all looks. Even the postman has a big smile on his face when he sees them. Mad Plumber

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Totofan said:
What is the best way to dispose of old toilets? :confused:
They still work (poorly) but hauling them to the dump seems like an environmental waste.
There must be a better way to recycle or dispose of them.

Break them up into smaller pieces and dispose in the weekly trash pick up. Most garbage crews will take them if you call ahead.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
All of the county waste collection sites around here (aka dumps) have a recycle faciltity. Toilets are collected and sent somewhere where they are ground up and used in road construction.

Totofan

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for replies.
I will contact my trash service and the city to see if we have a recycle service like this.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
It's such a waste to dump these things. Ours work fairly well and I know so many in third world countries don't even have the luxury of a poorly working toilet. We're too wasteful in this country.

What about Habitat for Humanity? Or maybe list it on freecycle? Some people don't mind using an old, working toilet.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
HoneySuckle said:
It's such a waste to dump these things. Ours work fairly well and I know so many in third world countries don't even have the luxury of a poorly working toilet. We're too wasteful in this country.

What about Habitat for Humanity? Or maybe list it on freecycle? Some people don't mind using an old, working toilet.

I agree.

Give it to Habitat for Humanity or some other second hand store. You might have to drive it over, but some places will pick up.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
KaBlam!

If all else fails, they make great targets for high-power shooting, and the result is ready-made road fill. I take all my leftovers to Habitat. It's also a great oraganization for DIYers to volunteer for a day now and then and apprentice yourself to someone who knows what he's doing. You learn and feel good all at the same time. You may not feel so good that night, however, especially if you volunteered on a roofing crew.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the toilet is working poorly, like you stated, toss it. No one wants to deal with a toilet that doesn't work right even if it is free.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some people just need a lid or a tank to match their old one. So even if the bowl has some problems, other parts may be worth saving.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cass said:
If the toilet is working poorly, like you stated, toss it. No one wants to deal with a toilet that doesn't work right even if it is free.

I agree. and..

IMHO if you have to whack it to break into a few pieces I would completely cover it with a heavy tarp or old blanket.

Don't even think about just cracking it up using a hammer and no protection. (especially eye)

It's about the same as breaking a pane of glass with a hammer-it will shatter in all directions. Very dangerous.

Terry posted about this- some time back- and he is right.

People are under the impression it will just crack and cave in like a big piece of pottery.

Wrong.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Mike50 said:
It's about the same as breaking a pane of glass with a hammer-it will shatter in all directions. Very dangerous.

People are under the impression it will just crack and cave in like a big piece of pottery.

Wrong.

True story, 1994. Pulled a toilet out of one of my rental houses at the time and took it out in one piece, sat it in a 100 gallon garbage can. Had my 32oz. Eastwing ready to smack the back of the tank where tank and bowl connect to get that huge chunk of brass out of those old toilets that use guide wires and triple seal ball.

I turned my head away knowing debri could fly and still got hit in the eyebrow. Cut it wide open and left a permanent star scar only because I didn't get stitches. It opened the skin like you filet a fish.

I had every intention to go to the emergency room but my girlfriend got pissed at me when I told her to bring home some burger king hamburgers and fries before we went.

Now you all know that when you are hungry that if you hurry and go to the ER, you can be there for hours until you are seen and they won't let you drink or eat. I thought it was prepared thinking on my part. :confused: ;)

Ohio is known for being in the news for numerous things.....here's someone who made the best out of a political situation. I'm about 20 miles from where all this took place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks