Proper control box

Users who are viewing this thread

Fishyone

Reaction score
I am told that on a single phase 3 wire pump you can use a larger control box on a smaller pump but you can't use a smaller control box on a larger pump. So the situation is I have a 1 1/2hp pump and a 2hp pump in different wells. So as the 2hp pump and well is new this is the one I wish to use, but keeping the 1 1/2hp pump and well as a back up. The wells are approx. 25ft apart. The control box is at the tank in the garage. Today I changed the control box from the 1 1/2 to the 2hp control box, switched the wires and fired up the pump, All is well. when and if I need to use the old 1 1/2hp pump and well do I have to change the control box back to the smaller 1-1/2 HP box or can the larger pump control box be used.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Although a 2HP box will work on a 1.5HP pump, the overloads and capacitors are too large to properly protect the pump. There really is no reason to take the box off the 1.5HP pump even when not in use. Normally the control boxes stay wired up so when you need the extra pump all you do is turn on the breaker. I would only use a 2HP box on a 1.5HP motor for emergencies for short periods of time.

Fishyone

Reaction score
the box did not stay in place because both wells/pumps are using the same main wires from the electrical panel to the pumps. As the new well is only 20 ft from the old one, i simply extended the wires and the plumbing from the old well to the new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks