Propane Line and Tank Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering installing a gas line so that I can run my kitchen range on propane. The rest of the home will use electricity. The house is currently in design phase so I am interested in hearing suggestions on how this is typically done. I am assuming the piping will exit at the foundation level. Also, I don’t want to have a large tank. It will be a small tank that I can take and get refilled myself.

Here are my questions:

1. What components are needed? What type of piping? What fittings?

2. What is the ideal location for an external tank?

3. Is the code (distance from windows) fairly standardized?

4. Can I build a small cavity with a cover and bury a small tank instead of keeping next to the house? (I do know that larger tanks are commonly buried)

Thanks in advance.

Vict

Reaction score
We recently did a job similar to this. Although as a plumber we just run the line, and the propane guy comes and hooks up to our line that we stubbed out the foundation. We used CSST, Gastite. Drilled an 1"3/8ths hole through the floor and ran the pipe through the crawl space and drilled another hole through the rim joist to the outside. At each end of the line where we drilled a hole is a termination fitting. With this csst pipe, its flexible and most of the time you shouldnt need any joints between the terminations (unless you have a tee of course).

upload_2015-10-23_20-4-2.jpeg

Termination:
upload_2015-10-23_20-4-31.jpeg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. You CANNOT just "bury" a conventional tank. It has to be a tank approved for underground installation. (A propane tank in a 'well' would be a super bad idea in case there were a leak.)
2. The fire codes typically specify how close to the house and where it can be located
3. The plumber installs the inside pipe and the propane supplier makes the connection from there to the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks