Propane Inlet Code & Inspection Confusion (IRC 2015)

Users who are viewing this thread

water_tight

Reaction score
This is for a new piping system to feed propane (LP) to a new gas stove in the State of Connecticut which is governed by International Residential Code 2015 (IRC 2015).

According to "G2421.2 (410.2) MP Regulators":

5. A tee fitting with one opening capped or plugged shall be installed between the MP regulator and its upstream shutoff valve. Such tee fitting shall be positioned to allow connection of a pressure-measuring instrument and to serve as a sediment trap.
6. A tee fitting with one opening capped or plugged shall be installed not less than 10 pipe diameters downstream of the MP regulator outlet. Such tee fitting shall be positioned to allow connection of a pressure-measuring instrument.
7. Where connected to rigid piping, a union shall be installed within 1 foot (304 mm) of either side of the MP regulator.

This corresponds to a setup like this:
LP-CODE.jpg

My first question is what is the purpose of the union and why do they require it?

If I add a gauge and several PSI of air to the test point, that will expose the regulator outlet to high pressure and is apparently a no-no, and pressure testing a valve is also apparently a no-no. So am I to guess that I somehow have to open and cap the union?

What about pressure testing the sediment trap, just soapy water under load?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks