Propane Boiler oil before heating season shutdown

Users who are viewing this thread

Rfhjr

Reaction score
I have a 40 year old propane boiler with a B&G pump. Just wanted to know if it should be oiled prior to shutdown for the heating season and let the pump run a while. I noticed last year when I first turned it on it made a noise for a few minutes then no noise after it ran for a while. I usually put about one tablespoon of oil in the main inlet and 10 drops in the other two.

Fitter30

Reaction score
B&g pump would it have a spring coupling and the motor has resilient (rubber) motor mounts. The motor mounts start to sag from the heat and bearing oil and couplings wear out. Both mounts and coupling are replaceable the only tool that might be needed is a long allen wrench for the coupling. Oiling doesn't matter now or next heating season. Parts are available on the net.

Rfhjr

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I was thinking about those parts what threw me off is the noise only occurs for a couple of minutes then goes away. Actually if the boiler is used frequently there is no noise at all. Just thought when a failure occurs in the mount or coupler the noise is constant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks