Programmable HVAC Thermostat - For 365 days!

Users who are viewing this thread

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Before I purchase a PLC with input and output modules and program/wire it myself, I want to determine if there is a programmable thermostat available that can do and will do what I want it to do - off the shelf.

First of all, the best programmable thermostat I have had experience with is a LUX 7-day model. I don't know the exact model number anymore as it is not labeled on the device. I bought two of them over 15 years ago and I am still using both (one for home and one for my cabin).

I recently bought a new Honeywell RTH7500D on sale from Menards, since I was trusting in this brand name. I started setting it up and determined immediately that it was defective. I can SET the clock time and am/pm, but cannot change the day of the week. It is stuck on Monday and will not allow me to alter it.

I gave up on the Honeywell and bought a Hunter model 44378. This programmable thermostat appears to function so far. However, I have not installed it on the wall as I am just experimenting with the programming to learn it. I have found that I dislike it, very much. I am not going to use this piece of junk either.

I am disappointed with the selection of programmable thermostats which are readily available. They all seem to be made in China or some 3rd world country that supports terrorism or undermines the notion of quality that I used to know when I read the phrase "Made In America"! So disappointed, indeed!

The programming options all seem to be so limited. The programming options are based upon whether I am awake, asleep, home or away. Maybe they will add options for mowing the lawn, cooking a turkey, shoveling snow, changing a tire or taking a poop or something stupid like that. Ha Ha! I am just being facetious here.

I want to be able to program the furnace or the AC to turn on or off and heat or cool to a specific temperature at ANY specific time on ANY specific day of the year. I don't want to be limited to a HVAC scheduling that is based on MTWTFSS only. I want to be able to set the HVAC schedule for December 13th different from January 3rd and different from December 17th. And so on and so forth.

I may be requesting a lot that just isn't available via any off-the-shelf options other than through my initial idea of a personally programmed PLC. But, I thought I would ask the question of you all in case you knew of some programmable thermostat that would come closer to my goals. Even a 14 day or 28 day programming option would help me out greatly.

There are some advertised as 365 day schedulers, but these are a farce. Seems that you can program them for a 7 day schedule and then adjust them manually any day which qualifies them as 365. Not buying that.

Any recommendations?

RADAR

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
I should add this to help clarify...

My HVAC schedule for Tuesday this week is different from Tuesday next week and the following Tuesday is going to be even different from both of these. Therefore, a MTWTFSS programming option doesn't work for me. It needs to be much more versatile.

RADAR

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You could use a wifi thermostat and let a computer, cell phone or Android tablet control it.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
DonL,

I researched a few of these WiFi thermostats. The most recent model being Honeywell's RTH9580WF.
Although very nice, its operation is just the same as a standard 7 day programmable thermostat with
WiFi control. The programming options are the same, 7 days divided into home or away, so no benefit.

This is my dilemma. I haven't been able to find a programmable 'stat which offers anything more than
a simple weekly schedule that repeats the same programming from one week to the next.

What I need, or want, is a 'stat which can be programmed uniquely for each day of the year. With several
temperature settings throughout the day/night. Also with auto HEAT / AC or OFF dependent upon the
outdoor temperature.

I may just have to buy an arduino or raspberry pie and program it to do what I desire. Or an actual PLC,
which would be more expensive, but nice. If I could find something off-the-shelf for under say $500, I
would go that route so save me from the time of building and programming it all myself.

RADAR

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I may just have to buy an arduino or raspberry pie and program it to do what I desire.

That would be a fun project, and cheap to make.

Just because the WiFi thermostat does not come with software to do what you want, You can write simple code to do it, If it is WiFi controllable.

Just make Macros that run on your set times.

Why would you need to set every day of the year different ? Do you have a aluminum hat ?

Good Luck.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
That would be a fun project, and cheap to make.

Just because the WiFi thermostat does not come with software to do what you want, You can write simple code to do it, If it is WiFi controllable.

Just make Macros that run on your set times.

Why would you need to set every day of the year different ? Do you have a aluminum hat ?

Good Luck.

Don,

Ha Ha Ha! It is not aluminum, it is Palladium! :)

Seriously however, I am trying to control the HVAC for my cabin. I work rotating shifts - different hours and different days. This rotating schedule has a pattern of repeating, but it is not as simple as a weekly or bi-weekly base. Also, there is no consistent or reliable access to the internet at the cabin, so I cannot log into my system from a remote location to control it at will. However, if I could pre-program my HVAC system schedule out for at least 2-3 months in advance, I would be pleased. I figure that if any system would allow programming (scheduling) that far in the future, I might as well ask for a complete year.

RADAR

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is a low-tech idea: have 3 thermostats working largely in parallel. But use a selector switch to decide which R (for heat only) or RH and RC (with AC too) lead goes to the furnace. Then as you switch modes, set the switch to the new shift.

Reach4

Reaction score
I understand what you propose. This would work, but not really an option I wish to pursue.
I understand, but I thought I would throw it out there. Functional, but really weird looking.

Some programmable thermostats can have the logic unit removable so that you can carry it over to your easy chair to program in comfort. Suppose you had 3 different logic units that you could rotate in?

Of course only after you implement your custom solution, somebody will come out with the shift worker function built in to a thermostat. ;)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have not seen a programmable thermostat that provides the abilities you are looking for and I doubt that anyone makes one. But, a WiFi based one does not need an internet connection to work it...a computer IN the location on the same router should be able to, and you could probably setup a program to tell the thermostat what you want done. You might have a problem getting the access routines from the maker, as they generally have an app for that or you work through their website, but in theory, that should work.

Deric Kettel

Reaction score
I know this thread is like 2 years old, but in case its still being subscribed to here are my thoughts. Right now at work I have three of the Proliphix N130 24v Thermostats, they are not wireless but I have them direct wired to Ethernet. I can program them from my office or even at home with a little hoop jumping through a portal. These thermostats are about 10 or 12 years old now, and before I start having trouble, and so that I can be more in control of them, I would like to see what else is out there.

What I can do that I haven't see on other smart thermostats is I can schedule the heat to come on and shut down for particular days, weeks, months and really for a year in advance. This works perfectly for me as I need to schedule heat when guests are arriving and when they leave so that we are not heating dorms or apartments when they are empty. We are similar to a motel. Have you seen anything like this out there?

I can go month to month, schedule in and out perfectly. So you might ask, why do I want to change thermostats? Well the short version is we no longer have support from the IT department where I work, so I need to find a solution that lets me bypass all of their nonsense and restrictions. 2 weeks ago at home I installed a 7 day programmable wireless King/Atmoz thermostat, and I can control it from my phone or tablet from anywhere in the world. Unfortunately its only a 7 day programmable line voltage thermostat. Here at work I need a full year programmable 24v stat so I can set schedules months at a time.

Any thoughts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks