Programing Fleck 5600SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

Willrt87

Reaction score
Hi i bought a Fleck 5600SXT 48k with the iron resin it has the .5 gpm. As it is now its using too much salt it pretty much fills the brine tank with water. I live by myself so i don't use a lot of water.
I have well water and before the softener I did a test and got 250 for the hardness and also had .3 for iron.
Just need help with putting the right settings.
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
The limiting factor will be the DO (day override which sets the maximum time between regens) number. If you had an Iron+H2S backwashing iron filter first, that would let your softener go much longer between regenerations. Maybe you could get by with more than 7 now. If you have a sulfur (H2S) smell, that would be a strong additional reason to add that Iron+H2S backwashing iron filter, which would let you move your DO to much longer.

A Res Care or Res-Up feeder would feed a continuous dose of phosphoric acid into the brine tank to help deal with the iron. The special iron-handling salts have citric acid and maybe more in the salt to help dealing with the iron. So how long can you go with DO while using these measures? I don't know. I don't think there is a hard prescription.

If you search this softener forum for "iron out" you will find older discussions that you may find of interest.

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 6 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 1.5 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Raw hardness = 17 ; includs iron compensation
People = 1 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 60 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 29.4 ; Computed days ignoring reserve and DO

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 30.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 17 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 60 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 7 ; Day Override (due to iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 6 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = ___; flow meter, make note of what is there

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks