Product suggestion: Stubout for PEX Repipe into Finished Walls

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Problem: Replace galvanized in bathroom over basement or crawlspace without opening the walls. Presuming you can remove or displace the existing galvanized in the plumbing wall, how do you fit the new PEX?

Suggestion for needed product:
  1. Stubout with bigger radius that can be rotated into the plumbing wall
  2. PEX ready tip, attach before or after fishing bottom end of PEX
  3. integral plate that can be attached with screws or anchors to existing finished wall
  4. compatible escutcheon that covers plate
  5. room end is ready for valve (compression or, alternatively, threaded)
Black represents attractive metal product.
Blue represents PEX.
Brown represents wall.

img_stubout1.png

Clearing out the old galvanized? Improvise. Unscrew and remove what you can. Abandon the rest.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On repipes, I leave none of the old pipe there. Anything not taken out at that time, will need to be soon anyway.
For fishing pipe up to a wall without opening up drywall, I sometimes drill a 2-9/16" hole at the bottom of the wall, and taking a copper pipe with 90 and a 3" copper stub, I can fish it through the existing hole. Assuming that the old galvanized when unthreaded has given room to do that. Not every job is the same. Different decades, different ways of thinking by the plumber or the framer can change things up. On a repipe, you do the best you can given the circumstances. I like to install pressure balanced valves for the tubs and showers at that time, and the hosebibs outside. Sometimes we start our repipes at a female fitting on the incoming water, sometimes from the meter outside bring in a new water service. Keep in mind that putting a wrench on any old pipe may be the last useful time that pipe can be used. I have seen pipe deform and snap under any kind of pressure.

Reach4

Reaction score
For fishing pipe up to a wall without opening up drywall, I sometimes drill a 2-9/16" hole at the bottom of the wall, and taking a copper pipe with 90 and a 3" copper stub, I can fish it through the existing hole.
Thanks. What keeps the stub in place -- the pipe one way and the valve the other way?

On my lav, where the lav pipes come down are over a plenum. So some modification of method will be needed.

The above is what I was thinking should exist, but we are stuck with reality.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks