Product help-Need a clean out plug/cap replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Montague

Reaction score
I just bought this house that was built in 1969 in Chicago area. The drain system is copper and cast iron. One of the soil stack clean out plugs is not secured.

The plug has a raised head but it does NOT have male threads and neither does the pipe have female threads. There is a 4 inch rubber O-ring that sits in a recess on the plug. I don't understand how it was ever secured. There are some projections on the inside that leads me to think it used an internal clip. I've never seen that setup before. I've tried to attach pictures.

I'm looking for advice on buying a replacement plug/cover.
20200328_093627.jpg
20200328_093627.jpg
20200328_093508.jpg
20200328_093627.jpg
20200328_093508.jpg
20200328_093539.jpg

Attachments

• 20200328_093654.jpg
    20200328_093654.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 158

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe there was a rod attached (welded?) across those two inside bosses, that matched the length of the wide part of the hole. Then when the cap was turned, that rod pulled the cap tight with a camming action. It did not have to be a rod, but that remaining shape on one of the bosses seems to match a rod shape.

What is the ID of the hole, widest and narrowest?

You can buy a replacement o-ring. You need to measure diameters. I would opt for softer than typical o-rings (lower durometer).

To hold that old cap in place with more compression, you could find a better strap than what you were using. I would get a 1 inch "endless" ratchet strap.

Last edited:

Mike Montague

Reaction score
Maybe there was a rod attached (welded?) across those two inside bosses, that matched the length of the wide part of the hole. Then when the cap was turned, that rod pulled the cap tight with a camming action. It did not have to be a rod, but that remaining shape on one of the bosses seems to match a rod shape.

What is the ID of the hole, widest and narrowest?

You can buy a replacement o-ring. You need to measure diameters. I would opt for softer than typical o-rings (lower durometer).

To hold that old cap in place with more compression, you could find a better strap than what you were using. I would get a 1 inch "endless" ratchet strap.
Right now I have it secured with a wire [ex-coat hanger] twisted tightly around the fitting and plug.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks