Procedure to set pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

ddavid1

Reaction score
Would appreciate someone out there who could give me an answer. Here is my situation:

1. Shallow well ~20-25 ft deep (I didn't dig it - was here when I bought the house) - used to water lawn & flowers
2. 1.5 HP Flotec Sprinkler Pump
3. Square D Pumptrol 20/40psi
4. Flotec 82 Gal bladder tank - charged to ~52psi

I do not know how to set the pressure. I cannot read the schematic on the inside of my Pumptrol - it is faded. I checked the Square D website hoping they would have a schematic but I couldn't find one. I turned the two adjustment nuts (trial & error) until the pump quits running when I shut the faucet and starts again when I open a faucet - but I really don't know what I'm doing...

Bottom line: How do I adjust the pressure properly? Do I have too much pressure in the air tank?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For your pump settings, you have too much pressure. The pressure in the tank (with the pump off and all water pressure removed - i.e., let the water flow until it stops on its own), you should have 1-2 pounds LESS than the low pressure turn-on point (18-19 pounds for a 20-pound low pressure setting). WIth that much pressure in the tank, the pump would see more pressure than its high point, and may not turn on and fill the tank. But, since there is no water in the tank, as soon as you open a sprinkler, the pump would turn on, since there is no water under pressure compressing your bladder, the pressure would drop to zero immediately. That is very low pressure, so your performance on the sprinklers may not be great. You may want to bump up the pressure, if the pump and water supply can handle it. Think of your pressure tank as just a storage tank pressurized by the pump. It gives you some water under pressure so that the pump doesn't need to run continuously as you turn water on and off - it won't raise your water pressure.

ddavid1

Reaction score
Still need to know how to set pressure...

I appreciate the answer, but still need to know how to work the two adjustments on the Pumptrol - I can't read the legend inside the cover due to fading.

jadnashua said:
For your pump settings, you have too much pressure. The pressure in the tank (with the pump off and all water pressure removed - i.e., let the water flow until it stops on its own), you should have 1-2 pounds LESS than the low pressure turn-on point (18-19 pounds for a 20-pound low pressure setting). WIth that much pressure in the tank, the pump would see more pressure than its high point, and may not turn on and fill the tank. But, since there is no water in the tank, as soon as you open a sprinkler, the pump would turn on, since there is no water under pressure compressing your bladder, the pressure would drop to zero immediately. That is very low pressure, so your performance on the sprinklers may not be great. You may want to bump up the pressure, if the pump and water supply can handle it. Think of your pressure tank as just a storage tank pressurized by the pump. It gives you some water under pressure so that the pump doesn't need to run continuously as you turn water on and off - it won't raise your water pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks