Problems with reverse acting pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

SkiTrak

Reaction score
I recently installed a shallow well. I am not able to get enough water to maintain my sprinkler but do get a stead flow. So I decided to hook up a sprinkler valve along with a reverse acting pressure switch to keep the pump running but stop the water flow when the pressure drops to low.

I purchased a Square D 9013FRG2J23 which comes set to close at 40 psi and open at 20 psi. This switch is rated for a one horsepower pump. I am using a 24 volt AC sprinkler valve and a orbit timer to power the switch and valve.

The first switch would not operate at the factory set pressures. It would open at 20 psi but I was unable to get it to close above 30 psi. I called the company I purchased the switch from and they sent me a replacement and did not require me to return the old one. I installed the new one and it opens at 20 and closes at 40 but when the pressure decreases to 20 psi the contacts do not fully open. They open slightly and there is arcing between the contacts. This causes the valve to close but causes two problems.

1. The arcing continues which will probably damage the contacts.
2. The time switches to rain delay which is probably a reaction to the arcing.

The problem seems to be that the pressure decrease causes the contacts to start to open but the valve closes before the contacts full spring open. If I drop the pressure by opening a bleed value the contacts do full open.

Adjusting the pressure settings does not seem to help.

Does this sound like a defective switch or is it because of the low current?

The original switch did not have this problem but it would not adjust to the higher operating pressure (with the small spring tightened to the max the pressure would not reach above 30 PSI).

Can you think of a solution if the problem is not a faulty switch?

Thanks!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Sounds to me like there is nothing with either of these switches. It sounds like an installer problem to me. Would you like to draw us a schematic of your install?

SkiTrak

Reaction score
More Info

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion.

Enclosed is a diagram of the setup.

Also enclosed is a photo of the system.

Note the second tank can be turned on an off.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Bill

Attachments

• PumpSetup.jpg
    PumpSetup.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,629
  • PumpDiagram.jpg
    PumpDiagram.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,606

SkiTrak

Reaction score
My Rue Goldberg

Hi,

I have labeled my drawing to hopefully answer your questions. The reason for the Second Switch and valve is because the well cannot keep up with the sprinkler so I use the switch to turn on and off the water flow depending on pressure. When it works it does the job. The problem is the first switch would not adjust above 30 psi and the seller said it was defective and sent a new one. The new switch works as it should at off 20 on 40 but on opening the contacts do not fully open and thus the valve closes but I get continual arcing which causes the timer to shut off the power to the switch.

I am down 20 feet in the well and there is 13 feet of water in the pipe. The problem seems to be the soil is not sandy enough to allow the water to flow fast enough into the point. I could keep going down but I am concerned if I break through a clay layer I may hit a aquifer that is separate from the one above and thus cannot use a shallow well pump.

I am also getting fine sand and some other debris and the pump manufacture recommended a inlet screen I chose the one so it could be cleaned easily if it plugs up a lot.

Attachments

• PumpSetup2.jpg
    PumpSetup2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 8,646

SkiTrak

Reaction score
Square D Support

I called Square D support and they said what I was suspecting and that is the switch is operating to fast. It cuts off the water before the pressure can drop low enough. They are going to send me a snubber (a small disk with a pin hole in it). This should slow down the switch operation and will hoefully fix the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks