Problems with new Moen shower cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff+

Reaction score
1528155352324105551605.jpg
1528155419382516580504.jpg
I would welcome advice on the below 2 issues related to my recent installation of a new Moen 1222 cartridge in my single handle shower knob, which is tear-shaped. I have very limited plumbing skills so would appreciate simple advice, thanks!

1. The bottom of the tear is at the 6 o'clock position when the water is off. The water is hottest at the 3 o'clock position. The pressure is strongest and the temperature is warm at 12 o'clock. When moving to the final position at 9 o'clock, the temperature is cold and the pressure drops. Please see the photos but I placed the cartridge so the HC portion is on the top. Should I just turn the cartridge to go from cold to hot water when i turn from 6 to 9 o'clock? Also, why is the pressure greatest at 12 instead of 9 o'clock?

2. Since changing the cartridge, there is a very slow leak from the tub spout. Any thoughts on what I have done wrong? There was no leak before I changed the cartridge.

Thank you,
Jeff

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When hot is piped to the left side, the H would be on the left. With cold piped to the left, the cartridge should be installed 180 degrees from that. Flip the cartridge, you're almost there.

Off is in the down position for the handle.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When full hot or full cold, you're only getting water flow from the one pipe. Anywhere in between, you're mixing some hot and cold, so midway (warm) would likely produce the highest flow.

A thermostatically controlled valve works a bit differently in most cases, and the flow may be more consistent across temperature change, but will still vary some, just not as much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks