Problems with faux (HD) Moen fixture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rdtompki

Reaction score
My DW pick out "Moen" fixtures at HD's Expo center and I was somewhat concerned that these fixtures weren't your catalog Moen items. This is a Benton tub/shower fixture, 82450.

Well, I don't have any Moen experience, but I did successfully do a complete install of Hans Grohe in our master bath without incident.

I don't expect a remote solution to my problem, but maybe someone can confirm that I'm not nuts.

The directions, and I use that term in the broadest sense of the word, stink, but I can deal with that. It seems that there is very little depth tolerance for the control (this is for a tub/shower). There are two depth positions, one for thin wall and one for thick wall. I can deal with this since I'm doing a Kerdi shower and know exactly how thick the wall will turn out, but what if this were a mud job? I might be misunderstanding the directions, but since there are no words accompanying the cartoons (small, at that) I'm kind of guessing.

Is this par for the course with Moen or unique to HD's brand (or am I just too thick to understand the directions?)?

Rick

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
rdtompki said:
Is this par for the course with Moen or unique to HD's brand (or am I just too thick to understand the directions?)?

Rick

Well maybe a little of both! Just kidding!

Moen and Delta are both guilty of printing lousy instructions. It does not seem to be just the homeowner models.

The topic of unique models for the HD has been discussed many times. they package items specifically for that store. It is under a different name and model number, so you can't comparison shop. It probably has cheaper packaging, and it may have some lower quality features than the similar commercially available model.

Delta seems to have more install tolerance than Moen, and we have heard complaints here that the HD Pegasus is a monster in that respect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks