Problems with Duravit Happy D close coupled

Users who are viewing this thread

MSW

Reaction score
Hi all --

There seems to be a wealth of Duravit experience here, so I'm hoping I can tap in to that (no pun intended).

I have about a 10-year old Happy D, close coupled, with that weird bendy adapter pipe in the back.

For a few months now, there's been a bit of moisture around the front of the toilet on the floor. Not a puddle, just kind of damp. Yesterday, we got our first little puddle, so now it's time to do something about it.

First of all, I will say this toilet has always been a problem. I've had it installed and reinstalled three times. So I would really advise against a close-coupled toilet if you are considering it.

That said, I have reached around the back of the toilet (it is open at the back) and I have not found any wetness around the floor flange. I have also reached up to where the coupling joins the toilet and can't really find any moisture there either. So from what I can guess now, I am thinking that maybe the bowl has a hairline crack?

It is really very perplexing, as there is no obvious answer here. I am trying to diagnose the problem without uninstalling the toilet because it is very challenging to reinstall. I'm hoping someone has been down this road, so fingers crossed! Thanks, MW

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I would really advise against a close-coupled toilet if you are considering it.

90 percent of the toilets in residential use are close-coupled toilets, and people don't have the problems you are describing. Close-coupled just means that there is a tank (which Duravit haughtily calls a "cistern") and a bowl.

Close-coupled = separate tank and bowl

Toilets from Toto, Kohler, AS, Glacier Bay, Delta, etc. are predominantly separate tank-and-bowl models, are pretty-easy to install, and don't leak at the connection from tank to bowl.

Maybe the real solution is to junk that too-cool-for-school Happy D and replace it with something good looking but reliable, like many Totos are. I junked a very-fine-looking Kohler for a Toto, and never looked back.

Alternatively, you might see if you can find an installer that has a reputation for knowing what he is doing, or at least reads instructions, something many don't like to do. Even a Duravit is within the skill set of a competent DIY-er who reads directions.

Your problem is not necessarily a crack. In fact, so often we find that people fear the worst when the problem just ends up being some degradation of rubber washers and the like. The puddle might be as simple an issue as a leak around the bolts that hold the "cistern" in place (many times, they have not been properly-installed, or the wrong washers are put on the bolts in the wrong order by people who -- there's a theme here -- don't read directions), or around the penetration for the fill valve.

If you attach a couple of photos of the outside and inside of the area between the tank and bowl, and the inside of the "cistern", we might be able to see something. I'm surprised how often we can tell you something just by looking at a photo.

Reach4

Reaction score
that are next to each other.
xc158b-s.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DaTmU8IMIN.jpg

MSW

Reaction score
90 percent of the toilets in residential use are close-coupled toilets, and people don't have the problems you are describing. Close-coupled just means that there is a tank (which Duravit haughtily calls a "cistern") and a bowl.

Toilets from Toto, Kohler, AS, Glacier Bay, Delta, etc. are predominantly separate tank-and-bowl models, are pretty-easy to install, and don't leak at the connection from tank to bowl.

Maybe the real solution is to junk that too-cool-for-school Happy D and replace it with something good looking but reliable, like many Totos are. I junked a very-fine-looking Kohler for a Toto, and never looked back.

My mistake! What I mean is you can't just drop the toilet down onto the flange with a wax ring -- there's some plastic pipe do-hickey that curves inside it and connects in another way. I suspect this is the source of the problem, and it has always been a problem.

Believe me, I would love to ditch this toilet, but it was a stupidly expensive purchase (albeit long ago) so I feel some obligation to make it work. But believe me, this is the LAST Duravit product I will ever buy.

I will take a photo of the inside of the cistern and see what is visible. There is no wetness around the base of the cistern, only on the floor at the lip of the toilet. But I'll try anything. Thanks again for your help and I will post soon. MW

MSW

Reaction score
If you attach a couple of photos of the outside and inside of the area between the tank and bowl, and the inside of the "cistern", we might be able to see something. I'm surprised how often we can tell you something just by looking at a photo.

Hi again --

I just took the top off the tank (or "cistern" if you prefer) and had a look at how it was attached to the bowl. It's just two bolts, fastened with wing nuts underneath, and both are bone-dry on the outside. The only other opening on the tank is where the water supply connects, and it's dry on the outside as well, so it seems like the tank isn't the problem (but please correct me if you think I'm missing something).

I'm inclined to think it has to do with this connector (image attached) not being seated properly, or the gaskets wearing out. I spoke to Duravit tech support (not really helpful) and they said I might need to replace the Fernco connections (not something my local Home Depot had, I can tell you).

I'm at the crossroads now of paying someone to deal with this, or just replacing the damn thing. (My model is no longer on the Duravit site, so I can't download install instructions). 10 years seems like an OK amount of time for a toilet to live, but in my opinion they should last a hell of a lot longer. Disappointing product for sure.

Reach4

Reaction score
You will be glad it is no longer sitting there mocking you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks