Problems w/ American Standard Retrospect Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

ArayT

Reaction score
Has anybody had any issues with an American Standard Retrospect Toilet? I purchased one 2+ years ago and just started using it (it was in an upstairs area that was not finished). The problem is it will not flush. The water level is at the max height. I replaced the old flapper and placed the float on the new flapper all the way to the bottom. When it flushes almost (about 1" to 1-1/2") all the water leaves the tank. I took pictures of all my piping were it was installed went back and nothing looks unusual. Because I purchased it so long ago I know I cannot carry it back. I don't want to replace it and be out the cost of a new toilet. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is entirely normal for water to remain in the tank on a 1.6 gallon per flush toilet...

If you are getting a double flush you lowered the float too far and too much water is being used with each flush....

ArayT

Reaction score
Thanks for the response...
I'm not sure what you mean by double flush. I lowered the float to try and get more water into the bowl. You can pour water down the bowl while its flushing and it works just fine. When I flush the contents are not expelled. The water swirls and it looks like it going to flush but the bowl never empties, it never completely flushes.
Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Make sure the fill tube is pointed into the overflow tube. This is what fills the bowl after a flush.
If the bowl is not filled before the flush, then dropping water from the tank will only fill the bowl, but not flush it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may have a plug then.
Did you set the wax on the floor, and then drop the bowl down?
or did you put the wax on the bowl, and hope that it didn't drop off while you were positioning the bowl?

Or someone could have dropped something in the bowl,
The fact that you can flush it with a bucket is good though.
What happens if you hold the handle down?

ArayT

Reaction score
I tried holding the handle down, no difference. I have not pulled the toilet to check the wax seal. I don't believe its blocket but it looks like pulling it might be my last option. I was hoping that this is not typical for this tiolet. My other tiolets are the same brand just a different type.

ArayT

Reaction score
Not sue how to post picture. I placed it in my shared album. Will this work?
Thanks

Attachments

• American Std Toilet.jpg
    American Std Toilet.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,132

ArayT

Reaction score
Do you think its a manufactured defect? If so should A/S would make it good? Or is it just typical for this model?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's not a defect, it's the design of the bowl. It should work, I'm just saying they have better bowls then that in their lineup. It was common years ago for bowls to move 125 to 250 grams.
Now you can get bowls that move much more then that.
I like 500 grams or more. If you have a 500 gram bowl, you're good.
I had a Toto Ultimate elongated rated at 325 grams with the old testing before they started wrapping the test media in plastic, which made is slide better and made it heavier. It worked like a charm. But the trapway was a full 2" all the way through and had nice rounded sweeps. I also put four in my church along with four Ultramax bowls. Working very good from what I hear.
The bends in the A/S bowl that you have, the Ravenna, are smaller and tighter bends.
But you could see that when you bought the bowl. It wasn't a sneaky thing they did.

Paulina D

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and advise. I'll be changing it out shortly.
Thanks Again, RT
That's not a defect, it's the design of the bowl. It should work, I'm just saying they have better bowls then that in their lineup. It was common years ago for bowls to move 125 to 250 grams.
I had a Toto Ultimate elongated rated at 325 grams with the old testing before they started wrapping the test media in plastic, which made is slide better and made it heavier. It worked like a charm. But the trapway was a full 2" all the way through and had nice rounded sweeps. I also put four in my church along with four Ultramax bowls. Working very good from what I hear.
The bends in the A/S bowl that you have, the Ravenna, are smaller and tighter bends.
But you could see that when you bought the bowl. It wasn't a sneaky thing they did.

Hi I know this is an old thread but I am right now trying to find a bone toilet to match my other fixtures & I can only find a Ravenna and a Cadet Pro in that color and 12" rough in which I THINK is what I need - was the toilet in the picture in this thread a Retrospect or a Ravenna? The picture of the Ravenna I looked at was more like the Cadet Pro from the side view. The only difference I can see between the 2 toilets Ravenna & Cadet Pro is that the Ravenna included the seat the Cadet Pro didn't include one.. I really could use advice on which one might be better because it looks like I only have those two to choose from. One is 'right height' one is not both are round front. Thanking you for any answers in advance..

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can find Bone from many manufacturers. American Standard of course, and also TOTO
American Standard, Bone 021
TOTO, Bone 03
Kohler, Almond 47

Paulina D

Reaction score
You can find Bone from many manufacturers. American Standard of course, and also TOTO
American Standard, Bone 021
TOTO, Bone 03
Kohler, Almond 47

Oh thank you, the whole bathroom is beige/off white & the fixtures are close enough together & lit well enough that when I got samples sent to me to match - for instance Kohler Almond was greyer looking then the American Standard Bone so I felt like I should be safe & stick with the AS bone. Do you think either of those AS toilets are OK?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Cadet Pro works fine. I see that the new Ravenna 1.6 looks to be similar. You should be fine.
Are you sure you don't have the color Linen? That's also an off white.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks