Problems pumping lake water to cottage

Users who are viewing this thread

Sloman61

Reaction score
I am a first-time poster looking for some advice to solve problems with my cottage water system. Since we took over and began rebuilding an old cottage we have replaced the old jet pump with a new one. This year we were having problems drawing water and burned out the newer pump. It hadn't seen more than 2-3 years intermittent use, but I ran out and got another... the same size (3/4 hp) and type of pump, tho' different brand.

Still having problems..! =(

Setup:
-Foot valve is maybe 4' deep and connects to a 1" line that runs 50' (increased from 25') to shoreline.
-We are maybe another 50' from the lake, but only a rise of about 10'-15'.
-There is a sediment filter (50 micron) before the pump to also remove zebra mussel (ZM) larvae.
-3/4 hp jet pump feeds 20 gal pressure tank.
-all new flexible water lines feed kitchen and bath, hot water tank after 3 Big Blue filters + UV.

Our lake has serious zebra mussel issues. This is why we have installed a 'pre-pump' filter before the pump, in order to protect the rest of the system.

The water was working pretty well unless the 'pre-pump' filter got clogged, tho not so much from any ZM's as normal lake debris. I was finding the pump was running dry (!!) so we were running without a filter cartridge at all, no problem.

I just recently found a pleated, re-useable 'surface' filter to replace the string-wound 'depth' type filter that always clogged so quickly. We mistakenly used 25, 10, 5 and even 1 micron filters (Ooops! ...they all looked the same!?)

Then I also discovered a pin-hole leak by the shoreline where wave action on the rocks had worn the water line. @#$%!!

Now I knew I had to replace the line to lake and extend into deeper (perhaps less murky?) water and 'sanitize' the system (with bleach water) since we'd been running without any filter protection from the ZM's all summer.

The sanitizing process went well, but after running the longer line out into the lake we could not get any water going. I use a 'guzzler' off a T near the shore to prime the line, but I don't think that's the problem.

Could it be we now have to long a run, having extended the line about 50' from shore? That would make the entire run about 100' from the pump underneath the cottage. The rise in elevation from the foot valve might be about 20' as the lake is very shallow and the cottage is not far up from the lake at all.

Questions:
-Should I just get a submersible pump or a stronger jet pump?
-Could the 'pre-pump' filter be causing difficulty for the pump to 'suck' and draw up the water? Is this a mistake (original cottage had no filters), or is there an alternative?
-Would it help to use a larger diameter pipe? Could this alone be the problem? Or is it just a bit too long now?

Any offers of advice, suggestions, or wise words of experience are greatly appreciated!

//signed,
Pissed off in Paradise by Pump!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Should I just get a submersible pump or a stronger jet pump?
A "4 inch" 1/2 HP submersible in a 4 inch PVC "flow inducer"/ shroud would make pumping go well -- better than a 1 HP jet pump. No priming. Quiet. I don't know what would be the the best way to keep the muscles out. Out of the pump, 1 inch or even 3/4 inch pipe should be enough.

On a shallow well jet pump, you want no more than 25 ft elevation between the surface of the water and the highest part of the pump or suction pipe. You have to make sure there are no tiny vacuum leaks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Longer suction line adds restriction just like the filter with the small screen size. But the biggest problem is the increase in elevation. Like Reach said, about 24' elevation is max lift. And the higher the elevation the more difference the longer pipe and filter makes.

But I am still guessing a suction leak somewhere is causing the problem.

A submersible pushes instead of sucks, so it works much better in a situation like this. You can put the sub in a filter sack or a piece of perforated pipe to filter out the mussels.

Sloman61

Reaction score
A "4 inch" 1/2 HP submersible in a 4 inch PVC "flow inducer"/ shroud would make pumping go well -- better than a 1 HP jet pump. No priming. Quiet. I don't know what would be the the best way to keep the muscles out. Out of the pump, 1 inch or even 3/4 inch pipe should be enough.

On a shallow well jet pump, you want no more than 25 ft elevation between the surface of the water and the highest part of the pump or suction pipe. You have to make sure there are no tiny vacuum leaks.

Reach4 - I like the idea of no more priming! I guess I have some thinking to do. Thanks for the reply and the info. I have also started thinking about the old abandoned well out back of the cottage and wondering if that might be worth checking into, too.

MTF (more to follow...)

Cheers!

Sloman61

Reaction score
Longer suction line adds restriction just like the filter with the small screen size. But the biggest problem is the increase in elevation. Like Reach said, about 24' elevation is max lift. And the higher the elevation the more difference the longer pipe and filter makes.

But I am still guessing a suction leak somewhere is causing the problem.

A submersible pushes instead of sucks, so it works much better in a situation like this. You can put the sub in a filter sack or a piece of perforated pipe to filter out the mussels.

Hey Valveman, I will go back and try priming more carefully, I guess, check for other leaks, and properly measure the elevation from the lake... which dropped about 1 1/2 feet this year with the dry weather! ...so I guess that's not helping matters much either! =(

Thanks as well for your insights and ideas. I really appreciate it. I don't feel so all alone, as the sad song goes. ;-)
Cheers!

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
People use submersibles in ponds and lakes for irrigation all the time, BUT, you have to be absolutely sure of your electrical so that there is no stray current in the water. Read up on people who get electrocuted in swimming pools.

Personally, I'd run a new larger diameter suction line and put the footvalve in a slotted piece of 4" like what's made for submersible pumps by Campbell Manufacturing.

Last edited:

Sloman61

Reaction score
People use submersibles in ponds and lakes for irrigation all the time, BUT, you have to be absolutely sure of your electrical so that there is no stray current in the water. Read up on people who get electrocuted in swimming pools.

Personally, I'd run a new larger diameter suction line and put the footvalve in a slotted piece of 4" like what's made for submersible pumps by Campbell Manufacturing.

Thanks 'craigpump' for your comments and suggestions as well. I head out of town this wknd, but then to the lake the following week to start troubleshooting this.

I'll report back soon..

Thx again!
sloman

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks