problemes with water flow on delta one handle valve

Users who are viewing this thread

erich

Reaction score
is there a way to adjust the valve to get better hot water flow? I adjusted it as much as possible and everywhere in between, but the flow of hot water is still almost a trickle no matter where the adjustment is.

come on, i'm the only one with this issue? can anyone help me?

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
is there a way to adjust the valve to get better hot water flow? I adjusted it as much as possible and everywhere in between, but the flow of hot water is still almost a trickle no matter where the adjustment is.

come on, i'm the only one with this issue? can anyone help me?

Be patient -
the pros are at work...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is for a tub/shower?

There is a limit adjustment on most shower valves to prevent you from making it too hot and scalding your grandmother or little kid - big people should be able to be smart enough to check before getting under the shower!

Anyways, it's different with each valve, but normally, you need to take the eschution off and it will be a screw adjustment, a mechanical stop or something.

If you check the manufacturer's webpage for the model you have, you should find that on their installation instructions.

If that fails to resolve it, the spool valve could be stuck, or you could have debris in the inlet to the valve. Crud on the inlet is fairly common, especially on new or remodeling. It doesn't take much to restrict the water.

Another thing could be if there are shutoff valves to this, you may not have opened it entirely. Or, if you have galvanized steel pipes, the insides of the pipe could be occluded with rust, and you'll get very little flow.

erich

Reaction score
here are some pictures

I don't know if this would make a difference or not, but the copper pipe on the hot side is at a slight angle coming out of the water shutoff i installed, would this hinder the hot water pressure? It's not much of an angle, but maybe the inside edge of the pipe within the shutoff is hindering the pressure?

Also, are these the appropriate shutoff vavles to use, or maybe they are hindering water pressure too? They are wide open. Should I take them off?

Attachments

• pluming101 007.jpg
    pluming101 007.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 529
  • pluming101 006.jpg
    pluming101 006.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 548

Jadnashua

Reaction score
SHouldn't make any difference, assuming you can still turn the valve. Just make sure they are both opened. Keep in mind that the safety feature in the valve will shut down if it doesn't see pressure from both the hot and cold...you can't just have one supply on.

erich

Reaction score
thank you for the responses,

the valves are wide open

i did the adjustments per the owners manual, that didn't help at all.

i took the valve apart and opened the shutoffs all the way and I get great pressure coming out of both hot and cold, although cold side has greater pressure, is this normal?

I do have a Nortz 63S tankless water heater installed, but the rest of my house gets good hot water pressure. Although I'm not very impressed with the noritz, it takes forever to finally get some hot water to most fixtures. Thats another issue though.

erich

Reaction score
how to go about unclogging a valve?

The valve must be clogged, but how do you unclog it. It's one unit and looks meant not to be taken apart. Can anyone give me the correct procedure for unclogging this type? It's the delta 17

Thanks

Attachments

• pluming101 011.jpg
    pluming101 011.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 527
  • pluming101 013.jpg
    pluming101 013.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 508

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Tankless systems may have a restrictor on the outlet to ensure it can make the water hot enough (the colder the water and the more water you ask for takes more heat to make it hot - it only has so much time as it passes by the heat exchanger to warm up - too fast with cold water, and it must either restrict the flow or allow colder water at the outlet).

It may be all you can get this time of year.

Hopefully, there is a clog somewhere, though, and you can clear it out and restore pressure.

erich

Reaction score
thanks for the reply and info...

I looked a little closer at the valve insert and it does completely comes apart, so I carefully dissasembled it and the thing was clean, nothing at all clogging it. It has to be the delta product. I doubt it's the tankless heater with all my other fixtures kicking out great hot water pressure, and my old ugly bath/shower valve gave out great water flow with both temps. 220 bucks for this delta, what a crock! I'm taking this thing back.

Last edited:

erich

Reaction score
really? that'd be great if that's it,
i'll go get another one and try it out... thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks