Problem with water pressure. Well pump and tank. Need help

Users who are viewing this thread

jmw132001

Reaction score
We are having issues with losing water pressure when we should not be losing any pressure at all. This farm and home has been in our family for the last 50 years and the well pump that was in it before was 1/2 hp flint with only a 15 or 17 gallon tank. It worked perfectly fine until grandpa got sick and had to be taken to hospital. of course with anything in a home, if it is not used for a period of time it goes down hill fast. Well needless to say he passed away and we managed to get into the home and noticed the pump seemed loud but worked.

Well, finally the pump quit so I found out it was the capacitor that was blowing on the motor itself. So I went and bought some and it would work for a while but then blow again. So, we looked at getting the motor rebuilt, but the cost of rebuilding just the motor alone and not upgrading the tank which all of this was bought new around 30-40 years ago, it was going to cost more then buying an all new well pump and tank.

So, trying to keep this short here, we ended up buying a simmer well pump

Specs:
Model 2805E-02
1/2 HP Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump
Cast iron shallow well jet pump can pull water from max of 25'

BODY CONSTRUCTION: Cast Iron

HORSEPOWER: 1/2 HP

MAXIMUM CAPACITY: 6.9 GPM

FLOW AT 10' LIFT AND 40 PSI: 6 GPM

MAX LIFT: 25'

MAXIMUM SHUT-OFF PRESSURE: 69 PSI

MAXIMUM INLET PRESSURE: 50 psi (inlet pressure + discharge not to exceed 100 psi)

PRESSURE SWITCH SETTINGS: 30 - 50 PSI

SUCTION SIZE: 1¼" NPT (female)

DISCHARGE SIZE: 1" NPT (female)

AMP DRAW (full load): 4.95 Amps on 230V / 9.9 Amps on 115V

VOLTAGE: 115V / 230V, 60 Hz (factory pre-set to 115v)

RECOMMENDED BREAKER: 15 Amp

MAXIMUM WATER TEMPERATURE: 140°F (60°C)
http://www.simerpumps.com/ResidentialProduct_sm_hw_jt_2805E.aspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then we also purchased a new tank.
Tank specs:
86 Gallon Vertical Stand Model Pre-Charged Water System Tank

Model Number: HT86

• Polypropylene-liner is NSF certified
  • Liner doesn't impart taste or odor into water
  • Diaphragm separates water from air chamber
  • Diaphragm will not fold or crease
  • Galvanized tank equivalent of 220 gallons
  • Precharged to 38 PSI
  • 100 PSI max working pressure
  • Discharge size 1-1/4" NPTF
  • Malleable iron elbow with stainless insert
  • No plastic elbow to cross-thread, strip, crack
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...10744477715605763&ipos=10&bargainStoreId=3180

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, we ended up installing this ourselves and once installed we primed the unit, made sure the bladder had the right amount of psi and such and it seemed to work fine. After a while (4-5 months) we noticed the pump would kick on a little more often, but nothing unusual and got use to it. Well now, it seems their is an issue and I can't seem to figure out what the issue may be. I have made a video describing the problem, but it appears we can't keep up with water even though the only faucet being used is the outside faucet and a little sprinkler on it from the dollar store which I know is not using that many GPM.

What happens is the system cutoff switch kicks in at around 33psi and cuts out at around 53-55 psi. We have noticed in the last 5 months or so that let's say you are in the bathroom or anywhere for that matter and you happen to turn the faucet on. the water will come out and then it will trickle real slow and then all of a sudden the pump kicks on and then you can start hearing the water coming more and more and getting more pressure.

Like stated, pump is right at a year old and tank same age. With the size of the tank and the pump, their should not be an issue at all with this sort of water problems and also losing pressure to where it drops down to 15 psi on the gauge at the pump and won't even let the sprinkler work. Any help or advice is appreciated. I made a youtube video which i will share the link. I am sorry for the bad audio and also the shaky camera and lighting, but I could only do so much with 2 hands.

Video of the little sprinkler being used and nothing else in the house being used and no leaks. Already checked.

Also, the depth of the well is probably 10 foot tops as we can hit water at around 10-20 feet here and considering it is 8 feet down in the basement, it can't be too much further down.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Obviously the pump is not producing enough for the sprinkler. I am guessing you either have a suction leak or the jet nozzle in the pump is clogged.

Reach4

Reaction score
For dirt, 0n page 1o http://www.simerpumps.com/resources/images/328.pdf , item #10 is a plug which you remove to let you poke a wire through the hole in #9. There are 3 plugs labeled as #10. I think it would be the middle of the 3.

How big of a wire? Commonly a piece of coat hanger wire as comes from dry cleaners is suggested. I think those used to be around 12 AWG, but I think they got lightened up to about 14 AWG. Closets used to overflow with those hangers. If your close lacks such a hanger, and if you go to a place that sells wire by the foot, a foot of 14 AWG solid (copper is good) seems like a safe choice. I don't know how big those nozzles actually are.

For suction leak, while the pump is running, you can sop each joint with water. While the leaking fitting is sopping wet, it will suck water instead of air. That will cause the pressure to rise.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks