Problem with starite 1hp pump HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

mutant

Reaction score
New here and wanted to say great forum....I checked but didn't see anyone else posting with the same issue I am having. So with that said I have a 1hp starite model SNE-L pump...not really sure how old but I dont think over 5 years old.
I recently did a flush with pool acid to get rid of any build up inside of it(where I live the water is Full of Iron etc so everyone out here does it. It has been working fine, a few times it sounded like it was making a funny noise but it passed and the tank didnt tank any longer than usual to fill up.
Tonight I was walking the dog and I heard a funny sound from the pump house...like a hum for a few seconds then nothing. I went back out and realized the tank had less than 30 pounds of pressure and the pump was not coming on.

I shut off the power switch and cycled it but nothing, I took the screw out of the back of the pump to see if there was a clog but water poured out easily. I tried turning the pump on and all it did was hummmmm. I checked the 220 breaker and it was not tripped. I took the pressure switch cover off and nothing was out of place.

I did notice the pump housing was Very hot so I let it cool down and tried turning it on again but still just a hum and if I did not shut the power switch after about 10-15 seconds the humming stopped/shut off. After a while it would humm again but not come on.

I am WAY out in the country over 15 miles to the closet town so I really need to try to get this going without having to get someone to come out. Not really sure what else I can do...any ideas of help is greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance and await some replies

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad start cap, or locked rotor. Could also be the start/run centrifugal switch is stuck in the run position.

Probably your best option would be to replace the pump.

mutant

Reaction score
I looked for a schematic to find the cap but no luck...and I looked on the unit and I cant find a cap anywhere? If the rotor is locked can I take that housing off and try to free it? As far as the start/run centrifugal switch being stuck....I took the housing off that covers that...and when I turn on the power the contacts don't move...so if they are stuck locked what can I do?
I wont be able to get to town for a few days, and I really need to get this going...even if I have to replace it I need to get it going now if even for a few days

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you can turn the fan on the end of the motor, the rotor isn't locked. The start capacitor should be under a little cover on the side of the motor.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I looked for a schematic to find the cap but no luck...and I looked on the unit and I cant find a cap anywhere? If the rotor is locked can I take that housing off and try to free it? As far as the start/run centrifugal switch being stuck....I took the housing off that covers that...and when I turn on the power the contacts don't move...so if they are stuck locked what can I do?
I wont be able to get to town for a few days, and I really need to get this going...even if I have to replace it I need to get it going now if even for a few days

Just make sure the contacts are clean on the centrifugal switch, With the power Off. You may not have a cap.

The Power should be off if you try to turn the motor shaft also.

You may have trash in the pump.

Good Luck.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I looked for a schematic to find the cap but no luck...and I looked on the unit and I cant find a cap anywhere?
If it is a cap start motor, the cap would be under a visible hump on the outside.

As far as the start/run centrifugal switch being stuck....I took the housing off that covers that...and when I turn on the power the contacts don't move...
It is centrifugal force that moves the contact, not applied voltage. Sometimes, they stay stuck in the run position and don't fall back to the start position. Look at the mechanics of how the weights work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks