Problem with new well, output pressure drops off

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron in SC

Reaction score
New well, 20' deep, plenty of water.

Pump will prime and run but it will drop down to about 5 psi or less and then pump back up slowly but only to 20 psi at most.

If I stop outlet water the pump will pump back up and then shut off as it should.

What might be going on?

Ron in SC

Reaction score
Could I be to deep? I have water in the hole that I we put the well point down in. It's about 5" in diameter and has water that's pretty clear all the way up to about 4' from the top of the hole.

The well is about 10' from the marsh behind my house.

Ron in SC

Reaction score
It's the kind of point you run down with it connected to a hose.

I'm not sure I know what you mean you by have I developed the flow on the point yet?

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
The screen on a well point can be clogged with particles, and forcing water back and forth through the screen can increase the open area for water to flow in. Most well points in my neck of the woods are steel, with screens that occasionally need to be cleared of particles. Most of these points were pounded into the ground with slide hammers. At the beginning of their life, these points needed 'developing' - to clear the inlet screen.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a dug well with a foot valve on the end of your dop pipe. What is the make and model of your pump and what kind of fittings were used to plumb it together?

SAM

Ron in SC

Reaction score
sammyhydro11 said:
Sounds like you have a dug well with a foot valve on the end of your dop pipe. What is the make and model of your pump and what kind of fittings were used to plumb it together?SAM

I have one of those 1 1/4" PVC well points. All connections are glued. All pipe is 1 1/4"

Pump is Myers 3/4 hp. Model #HJ75S, attached to a Wellsaver tank model #LPT7H.

Unpluged tank last night and it held pressure, so no leaks.

Edited:

Is it possible I went to deep, 20'? I went that deep because my original well went dry after 23 years. It was located elsewhere on the property and not near the wetlands behind the house.

Last edited:

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok so you have a 5" well with a 1 1/4" foot valve in the well.I read it right this time! Is there a screen on the end of that well casing? Who installed the well and what does it produce for water?If you know what it produces for water we can rule out the well as being teh issue. Just because you see water in the well doesn't mean that it will keep up with your demand. I'm thinking that you could have a vacume leak somewhere or there is a restriction in the suction line. With a well that size in diameter a submersible pump would be perfect.

SAM

Ron in SC

Reaction score
Sam,

Ok so you have a 5" well with a 1 1/4" foot valve in the well.I read it right this time!
It’s only 5" wide for the first 5'. I have no casing. The 1 1/4" pvc goes down with the well point that has tiny slits in it, the part with the tiny slits is 4' long.

Is there a screen on the end of that well casing?
There is no well casing.

Who installed the well and what does it produce for water?
Me. I did the same procedure 22 years ago for my other well. Water that it does produce is clear. Volume wise it will build pressure, but then after that is released it kind or gurgles water up at very, very low pressure.

Ron in SC

Reaction score
Slit size is 10,000th.

Well point has holes on the end to I pushed it down. I used a sand shark on a 1 1/4 pvc pipe next to it to loosen up the sand to get it down. Worked well that's why I think maybe I'm to deep.

I pulled well point up to aobut 16' and it's pumping better now, but if I open outlet all the way pump will loose pressure and stop pumping water.

Ron in SC

Reaction score
I pulled the well point up and the area of the slits on the well point was mostly full of silt. That seems to be the problem.

How do I deal with this situation? Do I install a casing then put well point in and fill casing with gravel or what? Pump out hole with mudhog?

Suggestions appreciated.:)

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the well needs some developing. I would do what speedbump said and go at it with a pitcher pump. If you drop the prime here and there while developing it will loosen up any kind of silt that has built up around the screen alowing you to pull it back through once you start pumping again.

SAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks