Problem with Flange Height for install the Toto Unifit

Users who are viewing this thread

Charles Truong

Reaction score
The top of my flange is 1/2" tall from top to the tile floor.
I assume it is too tall for install the unfit
it is ok on the dry run.
but if I put a wax ring or fluid master wax free ring it is too tall.
hope for some input to resolve this problem
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
it is ok on the dry run.
but if I put a wax ring or fluid master wax free ring it is too tall.
No problem. A wax ring (with no horn) can squish down to zero thickness. If your dry fit looked like this, you would worry: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/unifit-jpg.9208/

I would pack and form the wax manually rather than just setting the ring down. You don't want the wax to be squishing into path of the flush. That care may be unnecessary, but I did it when I installed my Unifit adapter.

Charles Truong

Reaction score
On the dry fit without any seal.
Unifit cover the flange completely with bottle of unifit touch the floor surface.
But if I use fluid master wax less seal. It rise about 1/4 inch above the floor level.
So I assume that waxless option is not good?
unless I can find low waxless ring
Thanks

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Or just get a plain old wax ring without a plastic "horn" or "funnel" in it and use that. Some of the wax will squish out, but you will have a seal.

Like this one -- all wax, no plastic: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Bol-Wax-Gasket-007004/100211506

3082fb9f-59ed-4231-97d9-6346c0efc024_400.jpg

Charles Truong

Reaction score
I am afraid that what I have to do. did want to mess around with wax stuff.
I might to manual put the wax since there are not much clearance between the flange and unfit.
afraid wax will get into drain hole and it might cause more problem

Reach4

Reaction score
I am afraid that what I have to do. did want to mess around with wax stuff.
It is easier with the Unifit for the novice in a way. So the reasons for wanting a waxless solution are not there. You might need to re-position a conventional toilet or add shims, so getting it right the first time takes more skill. With the Unifit, no heavy thing to lift or shim or re-position.

The hard part may be drilling the 4 holes on the side near the wall. Porcelain tile is very hard. Ceramic tile is easier.

You should not be squeamish about touching and molding wax. However you can wear nitrile gloves, and any potential concerns should go away. Use wax.

Charles Truong

Reaction score
not squeamish about wax, it just messy.
I m worry about the height of the flange, since this the first time to put a unifit in.
just afraid since the unifit barely cover the flange, there might not be much wax left to have complete seal?
hole already drilled in granite tile, that was a easy part for me.
thank you for everything.
any thought about the Oatey Wax Free Gasket. it is super thin rubber ring.
Does it work in this case.
just a thought.

Waynebonnelljr@gmail

Old school.
Reaction score
No problem. A wax ring (with no horn) can squish down to zero thickness. If your dry fit looked like this, you would worry: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/unifit-jpg.9208/

I would pack and form the wax manually rather than just setting the ring down. You don't want the wax to be squishing into path of the flush. That care may be unnecessary, but I did it when I installed my Unifit adapter.
I agree. One half inch is great for a good deal. Picture what will happen when you set the bowl and your golden.

Reach4

Reaction score
any thought about the Oatey Wax Free Gasket. it is super thin rubber ring.
Not as thin as wax. Zero, remember.

If you think you might need more wax, buy 2 rings or get an extra thick ring. I doubt you would need more than one standard ring.

Wax is not really messy. A dry rag or paper towel will wipe it up. Yes, it is a little sticky on the fingers. You have nitrile gloves, don't you? They are good for other tasks too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks