Problem with circuit breaker - single pole

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
A hair dryer tripped 2 breakers, and they couldn't be turned to the 'on' position, so I replaced them with 2 similar single 15 amp Stab-lok circuit breakers - one connected to a red wire and the other to a black wire (one below the other).

The breaker connected to the red wire won't stay in the 'on' position - it just snaps back to 'off'. There's no power to the outlets affected.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is probable that the breaker is doing its job, and there is a short on that branch. First unplug everything that might be plugged into that branch. Does that breaker still blow?

Next I would swap the red and black wires that you described. See which breaker blows then then... or turn off the power and use an ohmmeter to look for a short after everything is unplugged.

Reaction score
There is nothing plugged into the outlets. Do you mean I should remove the wires from the circuit breaker? If there is a short, what can be done?

Reach4

Reaction score
There is nothing plugged into the outlets. Do you mean I should remove the wires from the circuit breaker? If there is a short, what can be done?
My suggestion was to turn off both breakers. Remove both wires, and put them each onto the breaker that they were not on before. Turn on the breakers, and see which one trips.

Whether you should troubleshoot yourself, or have somebody else do it, is determined by your ability, motivation, willingness to pay an electrician, and how quickly you want this fixed.

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I'll try that. But what if the problem is the same?
I can turn on one breaker or the other but not both. I need both on in order to get power to the outlets. Does this mean anything?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I'll try that. But what if the problem is the same?
I can turn on one breaker or the other but not both. I need both on in order to get power to the outlets. Does this mean anything?
If the other breaker now blows, it confirms that the problem is in the wiring to that string of outlets and not a breaker problem.

There is only 1 wire for each circuit breaker, if that makes a difference
There will be several outlets wired in series. You or somebody else would need to find the fault and fix it.

If this doesn't mean anything, to you, you will probably need some help with the troubleshooting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Somewhere those two circuits are connected together, which is why EITHER one will stay on by itself, but not when both are on. You would ONLY need "both for power to the outlets" if it were a 240 v. circuit.

Bannerman

Reaction score
A hair dryer would usually be utilized within a washroom/bathroom which would normally be protected with a GFI device.

Are the breakers GFI or is there a GFI outlet installed?

If Black and Red wires are both supplying power to the affected outlet, two power feeds may signify the outlet is split, with power to the top outlet fed from one breaker, with the bottom outlet fed from a different breaker. Although you didn't mention, did you happen to also replace the outlet?

Reaction score
The 2 outlets in both bathrooms don't work because of these two breakers. The breakers have to work together in order for there to be power, and these two outlets seem to be on the same circuit. I don't know why they would be connected or why they would need 240V.
The breaker tripped when the bathroom fan was on and a hair dryer was plugged in at the same time. The fan still works.
The outlets were replaced a few years ago, but they're not GFI - just regular outlets.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The breakers have to work together in order for there to be power, and these two outlets seem to be on the same circuit.
Since either one or the other breaker will stay on, by turning one on, is there then power to one (or both) of the outlets? If one outlet has power, if you turn off that breaker and then turn on the other, is the other outlet then powered? Check both the top and bottom outlets at each location.

If the fan remains working when the two breakers are turned off, then the fan is fed from a different circuit which is unrelated to your issue.

Bannerman

Reaction score
By reply #13, am I to understand you already attempted turning on one or the other breaker and found no power at either outlet?

Advise using a volt meter, an electrical tester or a lamp known to be operable when checking for power. If the hair dryer was actually fed with 240 volt power, it may no longer be functioning so don't rely on that to indicate power.

All electrical connections by code, are to be located within approved electrical enclosures which are to remain accessible. By code, connections cannot be hidden within walls.

If power is not restored from one or the other breaker, then suggest pulling-out the two outlets from their boxes to inspect the wiring connections.

Reaction score
outlet1.jpg
outlet1side.jpg
outlet1wires.JPG
Here are pictures of the outlet the hair dryer was plugged into. The other outlet looks the same with the same black, white, and copper wires. I used a lamp and it didn't work and also tried a voltage tester and nothing happened.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I see no Red wire and I don't see a second cable feeding another outlet downstream.

While they are apart, try turning on either or both breakers to test if power is restored. If your tester has separate leads, test between the Black wire and the White and also between Black and Ground.

Edit to add: suggest checking the entire house to establish if anything else is not working. The feed may go to another outlet or device before feeding the bathroom outlet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I checked all the other outlets and everything else is working except these two. I used the voltage meter on the wires and it came up with nothing. Would a picture of the panel wiring help?

Reach4

Reaction score
I checked all the other outlets and everything else is working except these two. I used the voltage meter on the wires and it came up with nothing. Would a picture of the panel wiring help?
It would seem that you are implying that neither breaker is tripping now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks