Problem that no one seems to have heard of.....NEED HELP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Corinne Smith

Reaction score
Ok, I have a bath tub with no shower, just a tub spout. I decided I really wanted a shower so I purchased a new tub spout with a handheld diverter on top and a new handheld shower. I took the old tub spout off and put the new one and then installed the handheld. Now here comes the strange part.....When I turn the water on and adjust the temperature, the water coming out of the tub spout is fine, but when I pull the diverter to run the water to the handheld, the water temperature will not stay constant....it fluctuates between hot and cold and I also notice that the handheld's hose moves with each fluctuation like the pressure is also not constant. The things I have done to try and fix this problem:
Bought a new tub spout.
Bought a new handheld.
Asked the people at Ace....No one has ever heard of this problem.
Asked the people at Home Depot....Still no answers.
Called about 5 different plumbers...Nope!
Took the flow regulator thingy out of the handheld.
I surely cannot be the only person in the world to experience this problem....Someone please HELP me!!!!!
Most people tell me it's a water heater issue, but I only have this problem when the handheld shower is on. When the water comes out of the tub spout or any other spout in my house everything is fine. This makes no sense to me as the cold hand hot water should already be mixed by the time it hits the handheld.

Reach4

Reaction score
Tank water heater or tankless? Mixing valve to mix hot and cold at the water heater, or not?

Reach4

Reaction score
It sounds like some pressure balancing valve somehow oscillating. I don't know if there is any fixing other than replacing or removing. You could add "pressure balancing" to your searches.

For a workaround, I would try turning down the temperature of the water heater, maybe even to the point of using all hot water during a shower. See if that helps. I am not a pro.

Corinne Smith

Reaction score
It sounds like some pressure balancing valve somehow oscillating. I don't know if there is any fixing other than replacing or removing. You could add "pressure balancing" to your searches.

For a workaround, I would try turning down the temperature of the water heater, maybe even to the point of using all hot water during a shower. See if that helps. I am not a pro.

Thank you so much! I am going to try hat right now, I'll let you know what happens!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks