Problem installing new tub - Floor uneven

Users who are viewing this thread

Rajohan

Reaction score
Help!

My husband and I are new DIYers as we needed to install a new tub because the old one cracked. In the course of removing the old tub, we replaced the vinyl flooring. Though my husband measured the new tub to be sure it would fit, when he installed it, the new footprint of the tub sits about 3 inches wide than the old tub. Additionally, where the tub sits is a bit lower than the rest of the floor (less than 1/2 an inch). My husband thinks the old tub was sitting uneven on the raised piece of floor and that is why the tub cracked.

Having already installed the vinyl, we can't figure out how to fix this. Our budget won't allow us to buy new flooring again and the new tub is in. My thought was to fill it in with a self leveling compound to the edge of the tub and cover with a leftover piece of vinyl cut to fit, being sure to caulk all the edges. Will this work? We don't want the floor underneath to get wet.

Any ideas??

Thanks so much!
Angelica

Attachments

• 20171010_184729.jpg
    20171010_184729.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 457

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, but...

This is a high traffic area, that also gets wet a lot, in which case your glue will fail.
Next time lay enough flooring to overlap.

Smythers

Reaction score
There should be a vinyl threshold piece that you can buy from where you got your tiles from. A solid square piece that was meant as edging and possibly colour co-ordinated to match.

If that doesn't pan out, big box stores sell composite moulding that you could place in there as sort of a transition from bath to floor... http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building...omposite+trim?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

So you could fill in that floor gap with a piece of moulding that is the same height as the flooring (or trim to fit), and then add some ¼ round at the tub (caulk all joints) to soften the hard angle and make it look like your bath has a wider footing and your vinyl flooring meets up with the tub.

That's 1 idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks