Problem flushing - testing drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
I have two builder toilets from the 1980's that constantly need double flushing. One of the toilet needs double flushing even for liquid waste.

I'm going to replace the toilets with Toto's but I was thinking that I would test the drains before getting and installing new toilets. Can I do this test with the existing toilets still in place? I was thinking of taking a garden hose and running the water into the bowl.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
That works. Another test would be to pour 4+ gallons of water from a 5 gallon bucket, to see if the drain can take the water quickly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That works. Another test would be to pour 4+ gallons of water from a 5 gallon bucket, to see if the drain can take the water quickly.

Pouring right into the bowl works well.
A mid 80's toilet uses 3.5 gallons. There may be something in the trapway slowing things down, or you may have a flapper for a 1.6 gallon toilet in a tank the uses 3.5 and more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks