Problem changing bathtub drain plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Girevik

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I'm anything but Mr. Fixit, so please forgive me if this is a laughably simple question.

I was trying to repalace the drain plug in my bathtub today, and when I was trying to remove the old strainer basket the cross-hair section at the bottom broke out. Is there anything I can use to remove it now that there's nothing to grab on to?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a tool called an internal wrench which is perfect for this job. That tool runs about $60, but may be worth it for this job.'

The other method is to VERY CAREFULLY use a hacksaw blade held in hand to make a couple of vertical slices through the threaded body, and the flange. You run the risk of damaging the threads in the shoe, but if careful this method is used successfully by plumbers frequently.

Girevik

Reaction score
Do they make an internal wrench large enough to use in a drain like this?

I've heard teh hacksaw method mentioned. My concern is that I think the reason the innards broke is that when it was installed they put pipe dope on the threads. Pulling it out after it's cut might not be easy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pipe dope won't affect it like that. Now, if you used a thread locking compound, that could be another story. Pipe dope is to fill the threads to create a seal, it isn't a thread locking compound. The system relies on you getting a tight mechanical fit when you tighten it down, the compound just makes it waterproof, not hold it together.

Girevik

Reaction score
Maybe I just assumed it was pipe dope. At any rate, it made it REALLY hard to get the basket out of my other tub, and I'm pretty sure it's why this one broke. I have a feeling cutting it off may be only approach if there isn't an inside wrench big enough to get it out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Plumbers putty can get hard after a long time. Either one can be a pain, but...they aren't designed as thread locking compounds.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks