Probably a stupid question, but…

Users who are viewing this thread

MzG

Reaction score
I purchased a home recently that turned out to be a mobile home with add one. On the outside it looks great and never guessed it wasn’t a stick built home, but am finding LOTS of undercover issues! I decided to convert my extremely small full bath into a half bath when I discovered the subfloor was becoming spongy due to a shower leak. I started to rip out the tub, when I noticed a random electrical wire hanging behind the shower pipes. It was wrapped off with electrical tape and was hot! I can’t figure out where it goes or what it’s for and even if I shut off all the breakers in the box, it still reads hot on my circuit tester. Any idea what this is or why it would possibly be there? The electrician can’t come for 2-3 weeks and I know not to try to DIY this kind of thing, but I am curious if anyone else has ever heard of something like this? Thanks!

Afjes

Reaction score
Sorry, but there would be no way for me to even guess what this cable was or is used for.

Are you saying that this electrical cable has ends that are exposed there behind the shower which would have been hidden behind something without access to it? If this is the case it should have been placed and secured in an approved junction box with a cover. If it is a cable running through the area without exposed ends then this should not be an issue.

What type of tested are you using? If you say you tried shutting off all breakers and it is still live are you sure you donot have another breaker panel somewhere else in the home? Have you taken the face cover off of the breaker panel (don't do this if you don't feel comfortable doing it) to see if there are any additional wires going into the main lugs of the panel. Sometimes this is done and and in doing so it bypasses any over current protection (circuit breakers) and the circuit is not protected properly.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro and certainly not an electrician.

I wonder is someone was previously stealing power ... maybe growing something in that room ;)

I think you are right not to mess with it.

Let us know what the electrician says.

Afjes

Reaction score
If you shut off all breakers in the panel I am willing to bet there is another panel somewhere you don't know about. It would not be the first time I found a panel in someone's house they did not know about.

And by the way in your title you use the word "stupid". If you are asking a question about electrical because you have concerns about the safety then you are not stupid for asking. You are doing the proper thing. Just beccause you don't know if it is safe or if it is live does not mean your lack of knowledge indicates you are asking a stupid question. you asked a very smart question in fact.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks