Pro Press fittings vs solder

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,

The main water gate valve to my house broke and the plumber wants to use ProPress vs solder.

Would these be ok for this application? Is the reliability good?

Thank you

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
We started using Mega and pro press with amazing successes

Cuts labor costs in half even though the fittings and tools are very expensive

To install a new water main valve using pro press 1/2" - 1" we charge slightly over $2,100 to help pay for the cost of the equipment

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Will all the big bucks folks leaving NYC, how long will you be able to get your prices?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We started using Mega and pro press with amazing successes

Cuts labor costs in half even though the fittings and tools are very expensive

To install a new water main valve using pro press 1/2" - 1" we charge slightly over $2,100 to help pay for the cost of the equipment

Perfect application Press is very reliable plus you have added benefit of an acessable location (which isnt nessesary) no fighting water its quick .

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Will all the big bucks folks leaving NYC, how long will you be able to get your prices?
Crystal Ball ? Its expensive in the big city. How long will california house market thrive? a couple years from now will a dump in LA be a million like it is now or 2 million or a half a million? Do you buy now or get out? I cant know.
Hopefully all our buisnesses stay strong !

Reaction score
Perfect application Press is very reliable plus you have added benefit of an accessible location (which isn't necessary) no fighting water its quick .

Thank you..one follow on..I'm thinking about adding hot and cold shutoff valves below the bathtub faucet. I know soldering is always best, but would copper compression fittings be ok? They are behind the tiled wall, but have an access port through the opposite wall?

Thank you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Compression works fine. If you put a drop of oil on the threads, it can be easier to tighten it up as otherwise, on some, depending on how smooth the threads are, it can bind a little...a small drop of oil or silicone or maybe some plumber's grease lets you smoothly tighten it up without binding.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Compression works fine. If you put a drop of oil on the threads, it can be easier to tighten it up as otherwise, on some, depending on how smooth the threads are, it can bind a little...a small drop of oil or silicone or maybe some plumber's grease lets you smoothly tighten it up without binding.

Yes I agree I never put compression threads dry. When I used to do production tract housing we would do many houses of angle stops (compression on copper) per day if you dont lube threads they often leak particulary chrome plated threads kind of gall up. Personally never used oil , greaese, wd 40 only thing I have ever used is pipe dope white teflon slic tite my go to but any dope is good, just a tiny bit threads only! Never Never any Thread tape on threads of compression

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks