Pro Plumber needed, and best solution

Users who are viewing this thread

NotSoHandy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a good plumber in Greater Toronto Area ( Burlington, ON ) - if you know someone, please let me know asap.

I'm hoping to have a whole house water filter installed ( City Water )
UV Viqua, Big Blue Pre Filter, 12x52 Carbon, Fleck Automatic Valve

The only issue is the drain line from the filter. I had some plumbers and just don't have confidence that I need to move ahead.

The filter will be located right next to the main stack. In the Basement (2-level house + Basement )

Plumber 1 - Suggested cutting the main stack and connecting there, p-trap, airgap, and Venting done with AAV, AAV is allowed in Ontario

Plumber 2 - Suggested that I replace my sump pump with something better and drain to a sump pit, which sends water outdoor to the lawn; I'm just not sure if I don't overfill the pit while backwashing, I'm guessing that ¾ pipe and 15 minutes backwash will dump a lot water fast.

While I'm okay with option 1, I don't like messing with the main stack's integrity.

I have another small stack serving only one sink, but the drain line would have to be run in the ceiling about 30ft. Not sure if that's not to much ? , I would care less if they cut that.

2nd Plumber suggested that a floor drain with an air gap is suitable as well, but my floor drains have cuts made for two condensate lines, pretty much at water level, I think some water would be pushed under the slab.

Whichever direction I go, I don't want to DIY as I'm not a DIY person, I would love recommendation for someone that will stand behind their work, so please let me know if you know any plumbers in the area.

Thank you

sanitary_stack.png

Last edited by a moderator:

NotSoHandy

Reaction score
Thank you, Gentleman's !
Would you have drain line run the 35 FT to the smaller less active stack, or just utilize the 4" stack next to filter.

I'm just so concerned about two rubber bands supporting the whole stack in basement, I wish that they could just add plastic fittings.. to main stack.

As far as sump, I will upgrade it regardless because the plumber said that the stand/external pumps are not great and that this is 10 years old and its time.

My primary concern with sump is, that external drain line is above ground, 1 1/2 pipe. Would that not block in winter, as mentioned this sump is not very active so to be honest not sure if it ever runs in winter.
- Per plumber he wasn't sure, he said that normally that they transition under ground to 4" pipe.

And just shout out again for local plumber, hopefully I can find someone from here.

Thank you so much again,

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cast Iron piping is held together with "rubberbands" not just 2 joints many dozens or hundreds on a big job. the work is exposed visible every time you go in basement.
Your house your the boss but I think its a no brainer use the stack that's closest easiest. and don't even consider pumping unless you think that this is going to exercise your pump and extend its life

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks