Primary water pump recommendation (above ground tanks + 300' line, 30' elevation)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cbrider

Reaction score
Hi guys... I'm building a new home and I'm trying to finish off the primary water source.
My setup is 3 x 5000 gallon water tanks (above ground, connected together).
I've got a structure setup to be a "pump house" that has 30A of 240V available. I'm using one tank as primary, and feeding the pump house via a 1.5" line drawn from a float system with a course filter.
I can, alternatively, use an in-tank pump.

I'd like to see 40-60 psi of water pressure to the residence.
The residence is 300' away from the pump house and already have a 2" water line in place.
Residence - at peak height is 30' feet above pump level.
I'd like to design for 15GPM, but our actual use will likely be in the 6-8GPM range.

So many different combinations of pumps, pressure tanks, etc that I'd like a recommendation.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With 2" pipe you won't have any friction loss to worry about. But 30' lift is the same as 13 PSI. So, instead of 40/60 you should go at least 50/70, and 60/80 would probably be better. You working TDH will be about 145' of head or 63 PSI. At 15 GPM and 145' TDH you will need a 3/4HP, 15 to 18 GPM series submersible pump. Being able to install a 15-18 GPM pump and use 6-8 GPM average or 1-2 GPM when needed without cycling the pump to death is one of the main reasons for a Cycle Stop Valve. The CSV will also deliver a stronger and constant 70 PSI instead of an average 70 PSI as a regular pressure tank system is cycling on/off between 60 and 80. Many more advantages to the CSV as well. Plus all you need is a 10 gallon tank even with the 60/80 pressure.

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Cbrider

Reaction score
Thank you very much..

Two questions:
1) I'm aware of the (highly recommended) CSV system - I'm assuming you're recommending the PK1A. How is this different from using a large pressure tank (other than the ability to regulate constant pressure)?

2) I can use a submersible pump in the tank, but would a Goulds J10S or Goulds J7S also fit the bill if I want to keep the pump out of the tank itself?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can't put in a large enough pressure tank to do what the CSV does. There are lots of advantages to the CSV over a big tank. Pressure tanks don't hold much water to start with. Even a large 44 gallon size tank only holds 10 gallons of water. Then for every 10 gallons you use the pressure varies from 40 to 60 or 60 to 80 depending on the pressure switch setting. You can get use to the shower pressure dipping from 80 to 60 every couple of minutes, but it is not enjoyable or as strong feeling as a constant 70 PSI for as long as you are in the shower. The CSV works with a much smaller and less expensive pressure tank. The CSV also eliminates water hammer, check valve, pressure switch, tank bladder, start cap, and other component failures while making the pump last several times longer than a large tank system.

The J7S and J10S will only work up to a 40/60 switch setting. You could do 50/70 with a J15S. But to do 60/80 you really need a multi-stage booster pump like a Goulds GBK. Submersibles are more efficient because they are pushing water and a jet/booster is sucking. You might also look at the 1HP, 33GPM Hallmark pump. It is a little overkill but with the CSV will work fine down to 1 GPM. I don't know much about the quality but for that price you could buy 4 of them for the price of a brand name pump.

Cbrider

Reaction score
Thank you again. I get it. I think I'm sold on the CSV system.

FYI - for others "Goulds GBK" - these are the multi-stage pumps "GB Booster Pump Series" - pumps look amazing, but seem to start over $1k.

I read reviews on the 240V 1HP 33GPM Hallmark pump - Super cheap (<$150) - China. It appears to be #1, but the reviews, indications of actual power pull, and under-rated wiring - I think I'll stick with a Gould's jet at 5x the cost... I'd try it if this was a secondary application.

Looks like I'll stick with the 50/70 and a J15S.

Cbrider

Reaction score
Understood - we've got a single bath up there at that level. Appreciate the precision and explanations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks